• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Linkage Issue

holanae

Local time
8:23 PM
Reaction score
Got the car reassembled and have been driving it, but I am having linkage issues.

Good
Will automatically shift through the gears just fine when in Drive.
Will Kick down at the proper points when needed.

Bad
The throttle linkage lever interferes with the shift linkage when I am in first and second. Won't allow me to press the accelerator pedal fully because the shift linkage is blocking it from traveling further. With it in first the accelerator will move slightly until it hits the shift linkage.

The gear position doesn't match the console gear position. They are slightly off. Example: I could have it physically in drive, but its still in second. I have tried adjusting the linkage where park is park, but then I can't shift down into 1st gear. Or, I can adjust the linkage to get 1st, but then I can't put the car in part.

I have added the Edlebrock Mopar adapter to assist with my previous kick down issue.

See photos, do I have something hooked up incorrectly? Need help.

Can get more photos if needed.

20170529_125153-1.jpg 20170529_125238-1.jpg 20170529_125258-1.jpg 20170529_125410-1.jpg

What engine is in there what intake are you using

Good question, could have added some details regarding setup.

440, running edlebrock performer intake with 1" spacer.

Last edited:
check out the link

I checked out the link, but how will that change the position of the throttle and shift levers down below? They would still maintain their same positions on the transmission itself.

Last edited:
Its the throttle kickdown lever on the transmission that is hitting the shift linkage adjuster.

I think there is an issue with the alignment of the console shifter to the shift linkage on the transmission. In return, the shift linkage slide adjuster is interfering with the kick down lever.

The gear position linkage should first be adjusted to match the gear selector and transmission gear positions (dentents). You want to be sure the safety switch only allows starting in park and neutral. Then you can move on to the throttle and kickdown linkage adjustmenet.

The gear position linkage should first be adjusted to match the gear selector and transmission gear positions (dentents). You want to be sure the safety switch only allows starting in park and neutral. Then you can move on to the throttle and kickdown linkage adjustmenet.

That is the problem. I can't get the gear selector to match the transmission gear positions. I can align up only half of the gear positions. I can align up P, N, and D, but then I am off on 1st & 2nd. I can align up 1st, 2nd & Drive, but then I can't get the shifter into park. I physically won't go, there is room for it to go all the way up but its limited. Almost if the linkage is to short. There is nothing obstructing the console linkage either.

The floor pan was replaced, I wonder if the console brackets are slightly off? Would this have an effect? I imagine so, but by how much?

Switch the linkage from shifter to trans end to end so adjuster is at the shifter. Then that adjuster thing will not be in the way of the throttle linkage. This is just a guess as I have no memory of what is right....

how is your plastic shifter bushing? I've seen cars with a worn shifter bushing that would not alow the floor shifter to go into first gear. When they get worn, the size of the hole for the shifter gets bigger. Replacing the bushing and the car shifts into first with know problem. Just a thought.

If you feel that may be the issue disconnect off the carb and actuate it by hand and check for a bind you actually need to isolate and know exactly where the bind is occurring determine whether it is the trans or accelerator and then determine what needs to be corrected

From my 68FSM it looks like adjuster(big block section) should be facing downward from the shifter rod, not on top (close to throttle lever) as your picture shows. Hope this helps.

Fran will never steer you wrong! Unless he's wrong,lol. Which is never.

Was this transmission and linkage unit originally in the car? I believe there are different length arms for the gear selection linkage for different model cars and console shifters. Could you possibly have an incorrect length arm that is screwing it up?

I gOT the linkage from a fellow member that took it off of his 68 charger with big block. He was converting to manual.

I dont know which linkage is which. That could be an issue but I don't know because I have nothing to compare it to. Anybody have a photo we can reference. The adjustment nut is facing up so that is something I can change. Will probably fix the interference issue but not the gear o shift alignment issue.

Thanks for the feedback thus far.

Was this transmission and linkage unit originally in the car? I believe there are different length arms for the gear selection linkage for different model cars and console shifters. Could you possibly have an incorrect length arm that is screwing it up?

Don't know if I missed it and it might not matter what year and model is your car.
Sound like the lever on trans is the wrong length??
If you can get p,r,n but not 2,1 = head scratcher.
That picture I posted was from a 66 service manual, it was to show it mounts on bottom.
Maybe arm came off a column shift car, just guessing on that. They could be the same?

Auto Transport Service
Back