• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Local find - '71 Charger SE

Rolling Thunder

Local time
5:43 AM
Reaction score
Well was out with my family the other day looking for a rental place for my soon to be close(r than wanted mother in law) when my 7yo son came running from the back of one unit saying "DAD! Theres a 71 Charger in the back!!!!" What a kid...sure enough there one sat. Didn't check it out too much since not ours and no one home but left a note on door asking if for sale. Got a call last night...for sale. It's 0830 right now so will be over there checking it out in an hour. Wish me luck. Guy says its a loaded car.

got it! Not as loaded as he stated but for his asking price...I wasn't complaining. Has rear quarter rust and usual front fender stuff but really not that bad of shape for being northern WI car originally. Was white but repainted years ago silver grey. Has 36,*** original miles on it but engine is blown (past owner says runs but oil shoots out of ps of engine). Trunk area is gorgeous!!!! Has am radio with rear speaker, ps, black bench interior with buddy arm rest, interior is NICE! Came factory with magnum 500's. Even with rust car is sooooo complete is not missing anything original ie. trim whatsoever. Dragging home this afternoon and cleaning up some and more pics. I am stoked at getting it...I have always wanted one to build up as I wanted. Enjoy. Oh is very early build also with vin of like 103xxx out of St. Louis Plant.

71 charger 7.jpg

71 charger interior.jpg

71 charger 3.jpg

71 charger 5.jpg

71 charger 4.jpg

Great find! Kudos to your kid for telling you about it. Great kid.

He's a great kid! He can spot them better than old dad now. His mom is amazed that he knows what they are by date and model lol.

And one of my wife hamming it up...told her it fits her well. I like how the evening shots turned out, reminds me of the old ads.

IMG_20101024_181001.jpg

Like the color combo

Good luck with that pass quarter. Let us know what you do about that. My 74 is still "on hold" while I work on the 66.

Quarters will most likely be replaced with new full ones...too much rust to mess with. Pulled the rear seat last night and found the cars paint dept checksheet with my cars vin and date of AUG 19, 1970 on it. Also found buildsheet for a car a few numbers off of mines build but not mine so far. Also found a embossed piece of paper with the name EUGENE S. THURSTON under springs with buildsheet (one of the workers I suppose) and an odd thing...just under the carpet edge under back seat there were 3 coins; 2 quarters and one dime all new and dated 1965. Wonder if any meaning to that?

Some more good news...when I bought car was told that owners father-in law had told him that the original engine in it had been blown and had a big hole in side of engine that spewed oil out all over. Figured since blown no harm in trying to turn over so crank away I did...sounded fine with no unusual noises. Upon inspection right afterward saw that there was oil on grass under car right under right rear of engine...what did I find? Well what I did not find was a hole or crack in side of engine...did find that the oil filter has a very small tear in it and upon building pressure sprays out oil :icon_cheers: Well I guess I'll have to buy a new filter to save this 35, 675 mile engine.

1971 Dodge Charger : 1971 Car of the Year and for good reasons ! Your kid has a good eye for American Gold !

looks like a heck of a find to me. you need to give your son a raise in his allowance.

Great score!!!Congrats!!!Buy that kid a double scoop of ice cream!!!!
Petty Blue 67 GTX

What a great find. Have fun with you're project. Sounds like you have "The good son".

Nice find! Great looking car. Is that the original vinyl top? I thought all 71 SEs had the half vinyl top...

Auto Transport Service
Back