• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lock Mechanism

Eggo

Local time
9:07 PM
Reaction score
Hi,

One of my doors on my 73 Satellite locks from the outside but not the inside and i was wondering if anyone knows which bit im supposed to attach the inside lock latch to? i have a manual for a 70 but it’s confused me a little bit and not sure if maybe the door lock mechanisms are different to mine

7F52030D-D62B-44F9-AD59-6F2AE70936F6.jpeg

FDDF3BDC-D96A-4E4F-A631-613BB752D682.jpeg

The remote rod you're holding should connect to a small bell crank assembly that is inside the door and fastened to the inside panel. Then there should be another shorter remote rod that connects from the bell crank to a lever on the door latch.

These images are a little difficult to follow but they are from the 73 Dodge body FSM and should be similar to your Plymouth.

service manual door image lubrication points.PNG
service manual door image.PNG

There's only 1 or 2 places it can possibly go.

Operate anything that looks promising and see if it locks/unlocks.

There should be a plastic retainer on the proper lever, but it could be missing or broken.

You could pull apart the working other door?
The other door doesn't lock either unfortunately!
The remote rod you're holding should connect to a small bell crank assembly that is inside the door and fastened to the inside panel. Then there should be another shorter remote rod that connects from the bell crank to a lever on the door latch.

These images are a little difficult to follow but they are from the 73 Dodge body FSM and should be similar to your Plymouth.

[/URL]

View attachment 1292499View attachment 1292500
this is super helpful thank you! will have a look at it tonight :)

There's only 1 or 2 places it can possibly go.

Operate anything that looks promising and see if it locks/unlocks.

There should be a plastic retainer on the proper lever, but it could be missing or broken.
thank you! i think the plastic retainer is broken as it looks like half is attached to the lock latch

Not trying to hi-jack. Just became the caretaker of a ‘73 Road Runner and have a similar broken retainer clip. Were you ever able to find a replacement clip??

IMG_1515.jpeg

IMG_1514.jpeg

No never managed to find a clip - in the end just bodged it with zip ties and a year and a half later it's still working really well!
I may have to sort to that too. Fingers crossef there is a part out there that works.

You can buy an assortment pack of those at an auto parts store

New parts. On a shelf. A generic variety pack.

If only it was that easy for folks over 50 to find “replacement” parts

You can buy an assortment pack of those at an auto parts store
what auto parts stores? I'm in the uk so we dont have these over here but could ask the guy I buy my cars off if he'll mind looking for some for me

Auto Transport Service
Back