• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

look at what i found

67c2be1785289ba10ab00c9e40667751.jpg

No change? No problem! That's what the '0' was for, calling collect!:)

Hey @Duece what's the red X for in post #9?? What is it that you don't agree with....my opinion?

I drove by a phone booth the other day, I think it was Spring Grove Mn.

out for a cruise yesterday and stopped to eat at Paw Paw WV. We pulled into a little diner called Wilma's and this caught my eye.
When was the last time you saw one of these?

View attachment 1118162
wow I live just 11 miles from there in Levels we have one of those at the 4 way stop across from the fire hall, are you from nearby

Sorry Cranky,
It must have been an errant thumb as i was scrolling thru the thread

I am sure he/we basically mean, did it have a dial tone?
I think to find out, you'd have to drop a
quarter in it. It's probably free money
for the owner. Kinda like throwing coins
in a fountain.

I think to find out, you'd have to drop a
quarter in it. It's probably free money
for the owner. Kinda like throwing coins
in a fountain.
Used to be you lifted the receiver and there was a dial tone. You could either drop a dime/quarter in and make a local call or if you dialed a number with depositing coins, it would tell you how much for the first "X" minutes, and if you went longer, it (or an operator) would break in and tell you to deposit more coins.

Used to be you lifted the receiver and there was a dial tone. You could either drop a dime/quarter in and make a local call or if you dialed a number with depositing coins, it would tell you how much for the first "X" minutes, and if you went longer, it (or an operator) would break in and tell you to deposit more coins.
They may have operated differently in
various regions. I remember them being
either way. I also remember if it was a
local call, extra coins weren't required,
but only for long distance.

wow I live just 11 miles from there in Levels we have one of those at the 4 way stop across from the fire hall, are you from nearby
No i live woodbine Md.
my buddy wanted to see the overlook that shows the valley and Paw Paw and then we went to Old Town and crossed that crazy single lane wooden bridge. we passed the old paper mill and came home.
if any of you guys get near Old Town take the time to cross the bridge it only costs a dollar,.50cents on a bike. you wonder how it stays together
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3s59PReLS-9P4ulUA5aZZew9h3nlHxoenlQ&usqp=CAU.jpg

A bit more vintage, but still works, without a dime.

shop-phone-2-jpg.jpg

I’ve seen several out in Amish country. You'd be in the middle of nowhere and see a pay phone on the edge of a corn field. Somewhere I have a picture of my son using one in the woods.

No i live woodbine Md.
my buddy wanted to see the overlook that shows the valley and Paw Paw and then we went to Old Town and crossed that crazy single lane wooden bridge. we passed the old paper mill and came home.
if any of you guys get near Old Town take the time to cross the bridge it only costs a dollar,.50cents on a bike. you wonder how it stays together
View attachment 1118692
yeah that bridge gets flooded over quite often

Auto Transport Service
Back