• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a 67 Coronet tomorrow, advice.

I grabbed the car just for the surrounds, they are not bad, some of the lower mounting tabs are corroded away though. Not trying to hijack this thread just wanted to offer @shooter65 a chance at any of the parts before it goes to the scrapper.

I finally got the car from Calgary, it's everything I'd hoped it would be.

A few pics, the first is when it was delivered to my house, the second is when it was Leaving Calgary and the rest are of the original ad

ca4759c0-e051-447f-adda-92b3b0542fa0.jpg
Resized-20230731-233304.JPEG
IMG_9765.jpg

My first question is did Canadian cars have the antenna on the drivers fender?
Nice car. I saw it FS for quite a while.
Straight out of the service manual. If someone put it on the drivers side, it's quite possible they had been drinking too much.
20230808_135417.jpg

Hey Rick @shooter65 how goes the Coronet? I really enjoyed scouting it out for you and hopefully it has been serving you well these past few months! Merry Christmas!

Hi Graham,

Other then taking three months for PennDOT to get my title, plates and registration straightened out everything is going well.

I'm going to change the timing chain set as a precaution, reinstall the gas tank because the filler tube is not lined up correctly. My OCD requires it. LOL. There's a small coolant leak but I took it to a few car cruises so I am enjoying it. Thank you and Critter again for checking it out for me.

Lets see some more pics, and the interior.

Before I bought my Satellite, I test drove a 67 4D Coronet in real nice shape that was white with a turquoise interior.

I loved the way that looked.

I also bought a 2.94 SG chunk out of a 67 4D that was a black with turquoise interior 383-2 trailer package car.

That was different to say the least.

Last edited:
Sorry @YY1, it's been a busy year and I forgot about these Pictures that @Dobalovr took for me pre-sale. Thank you again @Dobalovr for going above and beyond! Some silly little things, the center part of the grill was put in upside down after some body work. Obviously the body shop that did the work in Calgary wasn't too detail oriented. :lol:

I've already fixed that. I'm working on purchasing and moving the antenna to the passenger fender. The car didn't come with a radio but since most of the work is done, I'll fix the mistakes with correct dealer accessories to make it correct. I'll post a few interior pics next.
IMG_9765(1).jpg
IMG_9774(1).jpg
IMG_9780(1).jpg
IMG_9789(1).jpg
IMG_9811(1).jpg
IMG_9812(1).jpg
IMG_9813(1).jpg
Resized_20230714_132846(1).JPEG

+1 for plastic on the seats.

I couldn't stand to leave it there, but it sure does reek of "cream puff".

That said, I'd be tempted to leave the antenna as the dealer installed it.

Non-radio pass fenders aren't terribly easy to find, and it's already installed.

Do you think passenger side outside rear view mirror is original to the car, or later reproduction? Station wagons usually came with them, but sedans and hardtops, not so much. It could have been dealer installed, like the radio.
Classic Industries in Los Angeles sells an aftermarket tach that fits in the unused clock hole in 1966-67 Coronet dash. Your car also came with fender top turn signal indicators usually seen only on Coronet 500's. I don't know if they were an option, or dealer installed.

Hello, thank you for the kind words. First a little more history of what I know about the car. Please keep in mind, I'm VERY happy with the car, even with it's flaws. Other than the deer strike, which I will talk about, it seems like a very well cared for car which is what I was looking for. Unfortunately I am OCD so small things wear on my and I eventually have to fix them. LOL

I bought the car from the 2nd owners son. His father had passed away so he sold the car. His father bought the car from the estate of the original owner when he passed.
The second owner hit a deer with the car so it has had some work done to the front end, that is the reason that the grill had been installed upside down.
The work done to repair the deer strike was as follows. The body shop repaired the hood and I believe the driver fender. Both have been repainted. The damage to the fender seems to have been light but apparently enough to require a repaint, probably to try to avoid trying to match the new paint with the original paint. The hood is pretty bad, it looks like you're looking out over the ocean with light waves it has so many imperfections. I'll probably take it to a body shop I've used a few times, and trust that does excellent work and see if they recommend trying to find a replacement hood or if they can repair the original. My suspicion is that the body shop that did the work may have been who installed the antenna considering the quality of their other work. I imagine the conversation may have been something to the effect of "Since you have to repaint the fender anyway, will you install an antenna for me?" "Sure, we have antenna that will work".....

The two points that were brought up were the "dealer installed" antenna and the passenger outside rear view mirror.

I don't believe the antenna was dealer installed. It is all black and a more modern antenna. I believe the radio and antenna were installed long after the car was sold by one of the two previous owners. The radio appears to be correct though. See the last pic below, I've added four more pics. You'll notice that the antenna is canted out so far that it could be a danger to a truck coming in the opposite direction. :rofl:

The passenger side mirror, I believe is original. I haven't looked for the build sheet yet but it seems to have been a unique order either by the dealer or the original owner. The reason I think the passenger mirror is factory is that dealer installed right side mirrors usually have visible screws holding them down but this is bolted on from underneath, no visible screws. I'll know more once I find the build sheet. The passenger side mirror was an option on any Coronet.

I'm on the fence about the radio. I know the car did not come with it, the block off dash plate is still
in the glove box. Again, my OCD is telling me to take it back to originally built but it would be nice to have a radio for longer trips. But if I'm going to have a radio, I want it and the antenna to be correctly installed, I couldn't live with the hack job that was done on the antenna.

The same goes for the plastic on the seats. I feel the plastic not only ads to the "cream puff" status of the car but is also part of the history of the car. The original owner was apparently very proud of the car that he spent the extra dime to have the seats covered.

20230905_130707.jpg
20230906_184600.jpg
20230906_184617.jpg
20230906_184707.jpg

1703175962588.png

My parents bought a new 57 Meteor Niagara 300. A couple weeks after we got it, on the way to church Dad was looking down at the foot operated w/s washer switch. Swerved over slightly and broke the antennae mounted on the passenger front fender. We had over hanging trees in our 1/2 mile road to the main road.
He had the new antennae installed on the trunk lid. Solved that worry. Possibly the owner had a reason to put it where it is.

Last edited:
Have you looked for a build sheet?

Trailer package cars also got pass side mirrors sometimes.
Any evidence of that?

I guess I just assumed the radio and the antenna were dealer installed.
That is quite common.

Were it me, and I really didn't like the antenna, I'd be tempted repair that hole, leave the pass side alone, and use a modern antenna mounted at the top of the windshield.

I found one made for motorcycles, that's unobtrusive and can be mounted all sorts of ways.

You can also buy internal antenna that mounts under your dash, that works quite well. Kind of a black box thing. I had one in my 2000 Ram.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back