• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at a 67 Coronet tomorrow, advice.

shooter65

Local time
4:56 AM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've been a member for quite a while but I'm a C-Body guy. I'm looking at a 67 Coronet Sedan and was wondering if there's anything in particular that I should check. I know what to look for on a C-Body but this is my first serious venture into the B-Body world.

Thanks,
Rick

Areas of rust are the inner quarters/trunk extensions, trunk floor and spare tire well, as well as the rockers. If you can access the floors, look there, as well. Look out for electrical gremlins - what's common on "C"-body cars is the same on these, too. I've owned close to 20 over the years, and my current '66 500 is a car I've owned for 43 years.

Chrome on front grille headlight area, some of that from guys said is big bucks.

Last edited:
They can rust from where the inner splash shield behind the wheel meets the fender top. Maybe a foot ahead of the door seam

crawl under it and look at every square inch. If there is fresh undercoating, look even harder for signs of rust or repair. People spray paint and undercoat as they detail their car, but some are hiding sin.

Sedan windshields are hard to find. As stated, the grill surrounds are tough to restore if they are real rough or get sometimes.

Just my opinion, but if I would find fresh undercoating, I would pass on the deal!
I'd rather see the condition even if it weren't optimal, and deal with it.
Buyer be ware! Good luck. ruffcut

sometimes when a deal is moving way fast , its because they want it gone if it's on their end . check lower quarters,trunk drop offs and around the rear window lower corners . a sign the rear window leaks is rust in the little squares on the trunk pan right at the corner of the inner wheel well

Hello Everyone,

The car checked out very well. Some issues but nothing too serious for a classic driver quality "survivor" which is what I was looking for. I have another question though:

I've always had trouble decoding pre 69 fender tags and this one is no exception. I've tried a couple different tools, this is what I got from realdash.net:

CAR: Dodge Coronet 440 4 Door Sedan
ENGINE: Unknown Engine code.
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Manual Column Shift HD
TIRES: Unknown tire code
MODEL YEAR: 1967
BUILD DATE: Unknown build date
AXLE: Unknown Axle Code
INTERIOR:
PAINT:
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:
15: Unknown Option

ABC OPTIONS:
X35: Unknown Option

abc OPTIONS:
w6: Build to Spec's for Canada

I know the interior is Turquoise and the paint is two tone medium turquoise roof over dark turquoise body, I was surprised the decoder didn't pick that up, but the other "Unknowns' have me baffled. I think I know the Scheduled Production Date and I know from the VIN that it's a 273.

I'm curious about the Axle AX-2; the 123-1 5, and the ABC-X 5

Thank you in advance for any help.

IMG_9767(1).jpg

2 tone paint- K and L.
K is IIRC the turquoise. Not sure what L is.

2 tone paint- K and L.
Thanks, It's crazy that it didn't pick up the paint or interior.

This is a Triple Turquoise car.

K - Medium Turquoise roof, L - Dark Turquoise body and H1Q - Turquoise interior.

I have a 67 coronet 440 4 door parts car I'm getting ready to junk. Body panels are all rotten. Let me know if you need any 4 door specific parts.
20230327_150428.jpg
20230327_150348.jpg
20230327_150348.jpg
20230327_150409.jpg
20230327_150357.jpg
20230327_150348.jpg

If it smells inside heavily of air freshener, mushrooms or tobacco ....check under the carpets - in fact do that anyway. A rotten floor will create a lot of work for you.

Don't let a test drive be over-shadowed by the loud radio/stereo blaring away....you need to listen to the car, not the local DJ or some CD playing.

A speedy seller is more than likely trying to hide something....or distract your attention from the real problems.

.....and then again, it might be a great car.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

Save/sell that hood lip trim.

...and the surrounds if they are decent.

2 tone paint- K and L.

I've never seen a light/dark 2 tone in the same color before.

That's gotta be rare.

I thought: "All the Coronet guys are looking at that grille and going: ooooo, pretty "

Decent grill surrounds and hood lip molding could be worth as much as the whole rest of the car.

Some folks probably happy to pay shipping from HI.

Surrounds look pretty good from here.

Auto Transport Service
Back