• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking at this '68 Roadrunner Restomod - opinions needed

SRT_Blubyu

Local time
3:47 PM
Reaction score
Fellas,
Considering this '68 Roadrunner retro-mod. Obviously not a frame off restoration or true big-block 4 speed car.. but might work out nice for daily duties. Need you all to poke some holes in it.. what do you all see wrong with it.. be brutal.. red flags etc.

So far in watching the video something is amiss with the accessories / belt drive system squeaking.. the controls look a little funky also for the AC.. looks like Vintage Air.. not sure how the controls for those work. Also, a little suspicious of the undercoating on the rear trunk pan and frame rails.. those doesn't look to bad from pix. would have to check it out in person for sure.. in atl. Notice a small pin hold in the seam crimp on one of the wheel well pictures (passenger front back side of crimp opening).. im wondering if that's a indicator of a bondo/filler slap repair job. sure seems overpriced based on condition and lack of originality..A12s aren't hitting $60k at BAT

1969 Plymouth Road Runner 440+6

thanks Fellas!

1968 Plymouth Roadrunner For Sale | Gateway Classic Cars

pin hole or removed wheel well trim screw hole?in any event looks sloppy to my untrained eye..
2082ddddd.jpg

Last edited:
That hole is for wheel-opening moldings, NA on '68-'70 Road Runners, so the fender's been changed. It's a custom car, so lots of those details are incorrect vs an OEM restoration: hood blackout should be organisol & come to a point in front, dash should be organisol, seat medallions are missing. Looks like nice paint, but they oversprayed the underside of the car rather than properly mask it off. $83K is a LOT, IMO, when a correctly restored #s car is probably a $50-60,000 car. I guess the guy's adding value for the restomod stuff, but still...
The A12 looks nice, seems to follow its tag, but apparently isn't #s; that softens the price a bit. I didn't look through the 400 photos, though.

Nice outside paint. Personal preference but I think in 10-20 years a guy would be happy he pursued that A12 instead. But that's just my opinion. For asking $83k I don't expect "cover up" undercoating. I would want properly coated surfaces all under. I know it costs lots to build a car these days and that outer paint would probably cost $20k up here if you paid a pro, I like this one better at $45k though.

The maroon car is nothing but a polished turd. Notice the shoddy workmanship with the replacement quarters .....

1661682789431.png

1661682821919.png

I'll sell you my survivor '69 Road Runner for 15 grand less than their advertised price & we'll both be happy.

PXL_20201226_211501964.jpg

Gateway has a HUGE markup.You can do way better.

The maroon car is nothing but a polished turd. Notice the shoddy workmanship with the replacement quarters .....

View attachment 1334345

View attachment 1334346

I'll sell you my survivor '69 Road Runner for 15 grand less than their advertised price & we'll both be happy.

View attachment 1334347
Thats a great offer - thank you.. but looking for a 4-spd, 440 or hemi car.

found more info on the gateway car.. gonna pass.. has a lot of nice items.. but sloppy bones

Unless you’re ok with a dramatically thinned out wallet - you can do much better than that. I’m not going into detail on the car itself. But the price is over the top. My advice - Keep looking. I would have sold you my GTX for some less than that and it was twice the car. Find another car and a better deal. My 2 cents.

Ok- on to the Six Pak if you think you can get a nice a12 for better than $60k I think you should wake up. Those are the cars to have if you want a 440 that or a sweet GTX 68 or 69. The car has some things for you to do to make it what you want - but I’d bump it to $64k and see what happens. I’ll bet the reserve is around $70k at least. These a12s aren't growing on trees any more.

Just curious - why would you even entertain a RR for $83k but turn your nose up at an a12 topping at $60k? I find that interesting.

I hope you find what you want - you’ve got some cash and there are nice cars out there. Good luck

Last edited:
Thats a great offer - thank you.. but looking for a 4-spd, 440 or hemi car.

found more info on the gateway car.. gonna pass.. has a lot of nice items.. but sloppy bones

Are you open to an automatic 1966 Hemi Belvedere II with less than 24,000 miles?

Things that scream amateur go me.
1. Over sprayed under carriage and exhaust and fuel tank. For the asking price I would expect a top notch paint job and that's a complete lack of attention to detail that I would do in my garage for a budget driver build.

2. That overspray on the exhaust isn't burned off even. It probably hasn't seen an hour of running yet which means the gremlins haven't been chased out yet in all likelihood.

3. Quarter sheet metal seem is bad for a car in this price range.

None of these things would bother me at a far cheaper price for a fun cruiser. They have priced it like a show car. You can do way better.

Unless you’re ok with a dramatically thinned out wallet - you can do much better than that. I’m not going into detail on the car itself. But the price is over the top. My advice - Keep looking. I would have sold you my GTX for some less than that and it was twice the car. Find another car and a better deal. My 2 cents.

Ok- on to the Six Pak if you think you can get a nice a12 for better than $60k I think you should wake up. Those are the cars to have if you want a 440 that or a sweet GTX 68 or 69. The car has some things for you to do to make it what you want - but I’d bump it to $64k and see what happens. I’ll bet the reserve is around $70k at least. These a12s aren't growing on trees any more.

Just curious - why would you even entertain a RR for $83k but turn your nose up at an a12 topping at $60k? I find that interesting.

I hope you find what you want - you’ve got some cash and there are nice cars out there. Good luck
I think you've misunderstood me.. id love an A12 for $60k.. or more if the condition is right. I appreciate what they are. my point was this maroon car wasn't worth the 80k if nice A12 were only binging $60k... sorry if I wasn't clear!

Are you open to an automatic 1966 Hemi Belvedere II with less than 24,000 miles?
Thank you - those are fantastic.. but im really looking for a 68-70 B-Body GTX/RR/Charger 4-spd 440 or Hemi.. Hardtop.. Factory AC.. willing to pay for the right car in the right condition.. A12 would be awesome!

btw: thanks everyone for the knowledgable opinions.. really appreciate the expertise.

I think you've misunderstood me.. id love an A12 for $60k.. or more if the condition is right. I appreciate what they are. my point was this maroon car wasn't worth the 80k if nice A12 were only binging $60k... sorry if I wasn't clear!
It’s all good my man. It’s refreshing to see on guy on here thats looking for a nice quality ride and will pay for it. So many are very dedicated hardworking guys that mostly want rollers and are willing to put in the work to make the, what they want. I don’t have those skills nor that kind of long term dedication and it sounds like we maybe somewhat similar in that regard. Resto 68 GTX six pack 440 et al a couple of years ago - a 48 year love affair going back to when I was 18. My first car. I still love the hobby, the cars, the people but felt it was time to let go - only o e person would be this lucky - my very close life long friend from my home city of Mpls.

Theres an a12 section on this forum that likely could help you in your quest. They know the market and many of the cars that are available around the country. Good ones and one that have been making the rounds for some time like pigs with lipstick on them. A good resource for you.
Heres a shot of my beloved X. One of the most difficult things I didn’t have to do but decided to. Find a car like this and you’ll be a happy man and your quest will be over.
876B7DE7-551B-4842-AB6E-8FB571905226.jpeg

I agree with the others to pass on that 68 Road Runner, looks like a train wreck to me. If you are serious about finding an A12 car you should check out The Lift Off Hood Playground. The guys over there keep good tabs on all those cars that come up for sale.
The Lift Off Hood Playground - Login

I agree with the others to pass on that 68 Road Runner, looks like a train wreck to me. If you are serious about finding an A12 car you should check out The Lift Off Hood Playground. The guys over there keep good tabs on all those cars that come up for sale.
The Lift Off Hood Playground - Login
I'll check it out.. Thanks!

It’s all good my man. It’s refreshing to see on guy on here thats looking for a nice quality ride and will pay for it. So many are very dedicated hardworking guys that mostly want rollers and are willing to put in the work to make the, what they want. I don’t have those skills nor that kind of long term dedication and it sounds like we maybe somewhat similar in that regard. Resto 68 GTX six pack 440 et al a couple of years ago - a 48 year love affair going back to when I was 18. My first car. I still love the hobby, the cars, the people but felt it was time to let go - only o e person would be this lucky - my very close life long friend from my home city of Mpls.

Theres an a12 section on this forum that likely could help you in your quest. They know the market and many of the cars that are available around the country. Good ones and one that have been making the rounds for some time like pigs with lipstick on them. A good resource for you.
Heres a shot of my beloved X. One of the most difficult things I didn’t have to do but decided to. Find a car like this and you’ll be a happy man and your quest will be over.
View attachment 1334781
That wouldve been perfect.. great looking car. I'm sure ya miss it! Dont have the time to restore one now.. I'd like to find a very nice one I can daily (make the school run, work, groceries etc). I want to enjoy it.. When I retire i'll take it apart and restore it again and likely sell to someone else to have fun with.. passing on the passion. Thats why it has to be the right one.. the right combination.

When I see things like body paint on suspension parts, painted over hood spring , etc etc.
It screams perfumed pig at that price point

IMO mid 40s and thats just a MAYBE on in person look see

At that kind of money there are A LOT of options to get a damn nice car

Hemi car might be a stretch but not impossible either . A really nice well done Hemi car 68-70 will most likely top over 100k

When I was looking 2 years ago. I had a budget. But when the possibility arose to buy the car I did.
I upped the budget and never looked back. Dont get me wrong it took some doing with the CFO to get the approval AND get into a position to spend the money I did.
But I own the car of my dreams. And ive turned down 100k twice....For a lowly 66 Hemi Satellite . BUT my car is absolutely not for sale.

Last edited:
PS, I know of a 1966 Coronet Hemi 4spd. I think it can be bought in your price range

works out to about 82k US funds

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back