• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Modified steering column thread

Mike67

Local time
8:04 PM
Reaction score
A year or two back a member posted a thread where they took a column shift and made it into a floor shift. They did some nice body work on the cover...I can't locate the thread , hoping someone has it saved or the OP see this.
Thanks

Mancini racing sells a cover/collar for the column that replaces
the upper column shift style collar, when you go to a floor shift
no need for body work to it, if you chose not to...

http://www.manciniracing.com/stcocoad.html

MRE 1968-69 floor-shift-steering-column-collars $159.95.png

no idea where the thread is

try the advanced search feature on the top right of the page

A year or two back a member posted a thread where they took a column shift and made it into a floor shift. They did some nice body work on the cover...I can't locate the thread , hoping someone has it saved or the OP see this.
Thanks
Depending on the style of collar you presently have it's quite easy to modify the collar for a smooth look. In my case, I cut the nub off that housed the pin where the shifter arm pivoted. I then smoothed the collar where the cut was made with a grinder and rolled sand cloth, by sandwiching the collar in vise jaws. Next I "backed" the remaining hole on the inside of the collar with curve-cut styrofoam making sure the arc of the foam was a bit greater than the arc of the collar to leave a space under the inside arc of the collar. Remove the inner foam by hand or with nail polish remover. I then filled the hole and space between the foam and collar with body filler. After setting I repeated the sand cloth step making sure the cloth wrapped around the collar to get a smooth and perfectly rounded fill. After painting, you could not tell where the work had been performed. You can actually turn this area of the collar to the bottom when you remount the collar. Not knowing what your collar originally looked like, I cannot say if this will solve your problem and save you some cash.

Auto Transport Service
Back