• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Prestolite Transignitor components

Dragon Slayer

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
I am trying to find a Transignitor setup or old SS set up. I have the Dual Point Mechanical distributor for a hemi, but would like to display what the Performance upgrade would be. These items do not need to work.

Let me look, your just looking for a period box for a mock up?

Yes, I appreciate it. While we are at it since you do rebuilding of distributors. Do you have a cheat sheet on the cam stops for the prestolite distributors? I have several loose cams with different clocking of the rotor notch with letters on them. Wondering if the codes were standard. What code for a 69 hemi and is it the same as a 440. Again talking Cam stop. I posted some picture on a different forum. My hemi has a B LU cam stop.

I saw that, so far I do not have a chart, If you find one I would love to have it. When I rebuild them I make sure the mech curve is right, so far so good. I should make a list of them. Let me go take a pic of this box was a freaky thing attached to a prestolight, be back in a few.

Funky, I am sure it does not work. Hey I have a 70 440 6 pack presto I am doing this week I will get the numbers off the plate, the top is marked B, I know this is a original one.
Shoot me a message to remind me.
Ray
DSC02182.JPG
DSC02183.JPG

That look like some electronic conversion that gets rid of the points. I am looking for the Prestolite set that used the points distributor, but had an electronic box and different coil to fire the spark plugs. It was hour glass shaped and painted blue or black.

I am recording what I find. I did a 1970 340 DP and it was stamped AA with IBP RG. I look at the service manual and parts manual. That can show you if it had a different part number for the CAM. Unfortunately, the 69 parts manual is incomplete for the 69 440 6 pack distributor. Cam Stop info not shown.

I will keep my eyes out for it, I get some funky stuff in, I think I know what you are looking for.
I have been using the sun cards, but unfortunately no cam plate id. Have not gotten into all the FSM's, to me there are way to many to look up on line. If you find out what you need and don't have it I might. Just getting heavy into the autolight/prestolights now.

I did the research and it really is pretty simple when you break it down. Early car which are Non CAP (Clean Air Package Cars) have initial timing of 10-15, and mechanical advance around 16 to 20. CAP cars from the 68 and up have no or little initial timing and advance around 30. Of course so many distributors were rebuilt who know what was put in, plus I have seen worn and modified cam slots.

For a car today that is not driven much but you want the vroom vroom when you stomp on it, you want to dial it in like a non CAP car, so 12-15 Initial, and find a cam with about 16-20 Mechanical (8-10 distributor stamp). Spring it so it comes in early.

Singles are pretty easy since so many around. Dual point cams harder to come by. Since 440 and Hemi same shaft I imagine many out there have 440 guts since there were more of them.

Auto Transport Service
Back