• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking to purchase a plasma cutter.

Bob Sawyer

Local time
2:55 PM
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a plasma cutter and I'm looking for advice/suggestions.
It will be used for automotive type sheet metal and the occasional 1/8" 1/4" thick plate. I can go with 120 volts or 220 volts. It will not be used in a production type shop - mainly to support my hobby of working on vehicles.
I would like to hear from those that use a plasma cutter and the type machine you are using? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind spending the money, there isn't much better for hobby and professional use.

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/200/HyperthermPowermax30Plas

HyperthermPowermax30XP.jpg

Not me. But I watch a lot of this guys builds on Youtube. He is a very good fabricator. This is his video on a cheap plasma cutter..

Thermal Dynamics CutMaster 51 is what I have and love it. Just do your research for what you need.....

We have run thermal dynamics, hypertherm and Miller. We did ok with the low amp Miller units, but when we went bigger they were crap..they have changed their design but I am not a fan. Imo the hypertherm was excellent but not as good as thermal dynamics. But, both entry level units from thermal dynamics or hypertherm will be fine.

I have a hypertherm and a thermodynamics. The thermodynamics will cut 5/8 plate like butter. The other one is good for lighter metal

Yup I bought it because I was tired of my Hyperthrem not being up to the task. I do build some things out of 1/2 plate. So I took a piece of that into the store and told the guy I want t cut this easily and that machine will cut!

Yup I bought it because I was tired of my Hyperthrem not being up to the task. I do build some things out of 1/2 plate. So I took a piece of that into the store and told the guy I want t cut this easily and that machine will cut!
What did you pay for that thermodynamics?

I’m thinking 2800. It’s been a few years. It is 3K on amazon now. I bought mine at a local welding shop.

I got a little lotus and I have used it once

I’m a fan of Victor plasma cutters, I used one at my old job and it was snazzy.

Out in the country low fluctuating voltage is hard on plasma cutters over 50 amp unless is is digital and reads line voltage to adjust accordingly. We have a thermal dynamics 60i. It will cut 3/4" inch and sever 1 1/2". We also use it on a cnc plasma table. It's a little slow to turn on cut to cut with the cnc but it has a steady powerful flame and consumables last a long time. I think it was $2250 two years ago. The 60i is very powerful for its size and has a good duty cycle . Look at the duty cycle when your shopping to see how long you can cut. Esab owns thermal dynamic and victor. I would guess thermal dynamics may make the victor plasmas?. I believe hypertherm is still a private company.

Last edited:
Lincoln Miller hypertherm thermodynamics, get one of the name brands because after the initial purchase, consumeables are going to be your long-term expense. I bought my hypertherm used about 15 years ago and it was probably 10 years old then. The unit itself has been discontinued and is no longer serviced but I can still get consumables.

Like most replies above go with hypertherm 30 and don’t look back. Runs on 120 or 240
using the supplied twist lock pigtails.

20211002_114227.jpg
Thanks everyone for your input. I found a Hypertherm 600 at an estate sale this morning. It is a brand new, never used unit with over $200.00 in consumables. Came with all the manuals, etc. I know the 600 was discontinued in 2008, but from everything I read, parts/consumables are still available. I paid $900.00 for it. Looking forward to getting it hooked up and trying it out.

View attachment 1173932 Thanks everyone for your input. I found a Hypertherm 600 at an estate sale this morning. It is a brand new, never used unit with over $200.00 in consumables. Came with all the manuals, etc. I know the 600 was discontinued in 2008, but from everything I read, parts/consumables are still available. I paid $900.00 for it. Looking forward to getting it hooked up and trying it out.
We had a Hypertherm 600 it is a great plasma cutter. The models after the 600 had some struggles but that unit is perfect for what you need.

Auto Transport Service
Back