• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loose steering column shaft

Anyone know if the snap rings 6024333 upper and 6023045 lower are still available?

So since I want to minimize down time I want to order all my parts first. Anything else I need other than these? Also, what about the snap rings? Available? Thanks.
4081CBF5-DDAE-4F8F-B66A-6012F42CD566.png
7A27D340-965B-45A4-8A30-1C3452337B95.png
71FF4729-2F2E-493B-BFB0-958C56C45D89.png

#11 would be the clip in question. That's the "C" clip that would keep the steering shaft from moving upward.

You'll need to loosen the coupler at the steering box in order for the shaft to be pulled up through the column.

Next you"ll need to pull the steering wheel. Then under the steering wheel you'll find the turn signal switch. This needs to be removed but you will need to find the wire connector halfway down the steering column. Unplug this and you might have enough slack in the wires to get the turn signal switch up and over the end of the shaft. If you don't you'll have to unplug each of the wires that go into the plug.

With the turn signal switch removed you'll find a plate with three screws that holds the bearing in place. After removing this plate you can pull up on the shaft and the bearing should come up with it. If the #11 "C" clip is broke or just not in the groove it supposed to be in, the bearing may not come out with the shaft.

This is more than likely what you'll find under the retaining plate with the three screws. This clip keeps the shaft from moving downward.
View attachment 957769
This is the shaft with the #11 C clip still on it. Also the bearing which is surrounded by a rubber isolator.
View attachment 957770

What I'm showing you might be very genetic as it's a earlier version of the setup. More research is needed to do your year and model. You have the FSM so read it step by step to do it correctly. I'm not sure with the key lock set up on yours if you can even pull the shaft up enough though the column to inspect/replace the clip without removing other parts first.

You might only need to remove the "cup" that contains the key switch off of the column itself and not remove the shaft?
I know this is a 4 year old post but thought I would take a chance and ask a question since this is where I'm at on my '70 Sport Satellite. I've pulled out all of this above mentioned "stuff" in order to replace my ignition switch, the ignition key lock, and my turn signal switch. There was NO C-clip at all in front of the "Star" plate (#14) but there is one in front of the large housing (#10 in the pic above provided by Shovhd) that houses the insulated bearing. I've ordered the C-Clip kit from Detroit Muscle that has 2 C-clips and includes the insulated bearing. The two C-Clips look different so does it matter which of these C-Clips go where...? Thanks in advance if you happen to see this! Van

C-Clip Pic.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back