• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low amp compressor to run air tools on

jogirob

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
I was getting ready to do a leak down test last night when my trusty Harbor Freight compressor decided to take a poop on me. Not their fault, I was running an extension chord too thin for the amp demand at that length (100ft). I don't have any outlets in my garage and this 12 GA extension chord is my life line to civilization. Thick GA chords at the length I need are expensive! Probably not more expensive than having to buy another compressor >_<

Anything 10A or lower has a petty 3 gallon compressor attached to it. I see Harbor Freight sells stand alone air tanks. Will buying an additonal tank and hooking it up to the smaller compressor work? I'm assuming it's as simple as connecting the extra tank inlet to the small compressor's air outlet?

Unless your garage is a homemade shack, why not have a dedicated electrical line run to the garage. Sure would eliminate a lot of logistic problems having a safe power supply available. You would also have handy outlets available. Generally not prohibitively expensive. There might be a local electrician that could use a few extra dollars and will do it right. Check with local Home improvement stores for local contractors. You can burn your garage and house down if it you don't do it properly.

It will work but for running air tools not so good. The little compressor will never keep up with demand even with added air tank

The problem you will have with that is getting a consistent fill on the secondary tank. The pressure shut off valve that controls the compressor is still going to read the pressure in the primary tank and will have a hard time knowing what amount of pressure is in the secondary tank. This combined with the extra capacity is going to mean the compressor will run at least twice as long as it normally would. Those tiny pancake and 3.5gal compressors are not rated for extended use so if you go this route, buy the warranty cause that puppy is not going to last long. The extended run time may also result in the same problem you already experienced with the small gauge extension cord, Even though its less amps you will be drawing it for a greater duration so the circuit and the equipment still runs the risk of overheating.

Maybe a gas powered compressor is what you need. Look at your local pawnshops... They are plentiful, or atleast they used to be.

Maybe a gas powered compressor is what you need. Look at your local pawnshops... They are plentiful, or atleast they used to be.
OF COURSE! Been so accustomed to everything being electric I totally forgot about those.

I dont have a garage so i bought a 220v 60 gallon tank 5hp compressor it sits under my deck with a hard wired black flexible cord that is plugged into a 220 plug that is mounted on the wall that a electrian put in . If you have the room in your panel box it is worth doing.

Or run the air line out to the garage, but you would get some pressure drop with a long hose.

I managed to fix my compressor but I certainly learned my lesson. No more running a light and compressor off the same outlet. If I need to work at night then I can run the compressor out of my kitchen and use an air hose to reach the garage like Don mentioned.At least till I own this house I'm currently renting.

You can always buy a gas generator, and have electric wherever you need it. Like the gas compressors, they are plentiful in the pawn shops.

I managed to fix my compressor but I certainly learned my lesson. No more running a light and compressor off the same outlet. If I need to work at night then I can run the compressor out of my kitchen and use an air hose to reach the garage like Don mentioned.At least till I own this house I'm currently renting.

Add a pig (air tank) in the garage to give you good short term air reserve

Auto Transport Service
Back