• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to me Air Compressor .. suggestions on what to do before use / best experience :)

That air compressor is only good for filling tires on your car, bicycle, and inner tubes to ride the river. Forget about running any tools, and blasting...I'm laughing, seriously, I do media blasting for a living, and 5.8 cfm, that's nowhere near anything on my radar...I run 185-200 cfm.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Condolences to you and your family. Things will get better for you all in time. Stay busy it will help.

You can use it for things like impact guns and ratchets. You may have to let it build up to max pressure to get the air tools to work properly though on really stubborn bolts.

Years ago I even sprayed a car with a similar compressor.

Just remember to oil your air tools regularly. This is especially true if you plan on storing a tool for any length of time. Oil them right before you store them.

Use only a non detergent motor oil like you would with a lawn mower. I use straight 30WT in mine.

You may be able to get a small bench top blast cabinet and give it a try. Just don't expect the ability to run it constantly. It will not keep up with a sandblaster on continual use. You can let it build up pressure and use it until the air supply drops pressure and the compressor can't keep up. When this happens stop blasting and let the compressor build up pressure again. It should be OK if your doing small parts in a little table top cabinet.

It will help if you use a blaster with a smaller tip size. The downside will be that it will take a little longer to finish a part though.

If the outside temperature is very hot, place a fan so that it will circulate air around the compressor to help cool the motor. I have had a problem in the past tripping a reset button due to excess heat.

Someone posted it above with a good comparison of HP / Volts/ and CFM.

You got some good responses from a lot of people here on FBBO.

Thats one thing I really like about this site.....

It's all about the good memories brother! Very neat story on the calendar, as well as having the box/calendar in your garage. The old saying goes we learn by experience and i'm not to proud to admit that when I started filling my stable with air driven tools, I purchased an insufficient compressor. Was nothing but frustration and in the end, I spent more than if I would have just gone with a larger one right off the bat. I will say a cabinet blaster is a great idea (with a larger compressor of course). I use mine all the time as well as a few buddies that use it now and then. Definitely worth the money.

I appreciate it Will. Yep plenty of great memories. It's a small calender so it's not too conspicuous. On the compressor I watched my brother use this compressor with an impact gun, 3/8th ratchet, small grinding wheel take gasket material off etc, to take off lugnuts, intake bolts. If i have to wait once in a while it will be ok.

- - - Updated - - -

On the hoses...I have the Flexzilla hoses from Legacy. They are supper flexible and dont have a memory so they coil up easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-HFZ3850YW2-Flexzilla-Zilla-Green/dp/B001C6NC7O

Looks like a nice price on those with free shipping to boot. Thanks Gpuller

- - - Updated - - -

That air compressor is only good for filling tires on your car, bicycle, and inner tubes to ride the river. Forget about running any tools, and blasting...I'm laughing, seriously, I do media blasting for a living, and 5.8 cfm, that's nowhere near anything on my radar...I run 185-200 cfm.

Thanks Donny but it's not for sale LOL :). Yes it is handy for filling the air in the tires. The local station's compressor keeps going out.

Sorry to hear about your brother. Condolences to you and your family. Things will get better for you all in time. Stay busy it will help.

You can use it for things like impact guns and ratchets. You may have to let it build up to max pressure to get the air tools to work properly though on really stubborn bolts.

Years ago I even sprayed a car with a similar compressor.

Just remember to oil your air tools regularly. This is especially true if you plan on storing a tool for any length of time. Oil them right before you store them.

Use only a non detergent motor oil like you would with a lawn mower. I use straight 30WT in mine.

You may be able to get a small bench top blast cabinet and give it a try. Just don't expect the ability to run it constantly. It will not keep up with a sandblaster on continual use. You can let it build up pressure and use it until the air supply drops pressure and the compressor can't keep up. When this happens stop blasting and let the compressor build up pressure again. It should be OK if your doing small parts in a little table top cabinet.

It will help if you use a blaster with a smaller tip size. The downside will be that it will take a little longer to finish a part though.

If the outside temperature is very hot, place a fan so that it will circulate air around the compressor to help cool the motor. I have had a problem in the past tripping a reset button due to excess heat.

Someone posted it above with a good comparison of HP / Volts/ and CFM.

You got some good responses from a lot of people here on FBBO.

Thats one thing I really like about this site.....

Thanks 71 Ag. My brother passed back in 2003. I may talk like it was yesterday but it's been a while and you are right time does help a lot. I really appreciate your experience and advice on the compressor and it's capabilities. I use it as much as it can handle and I have my brothers 1/2 impact gun, 3/8 ratchet, grinding tool and sockets etc. I'll use them as it compressor allows and wait when necessary or get the big persuader (pipe on a 1/2 breaker bar) when necessary LOL.

You are so right about this site. Full of really helpful, encouraging and just plain good folks. I'll definitely be using compressor or non-detergent 30 weight oil and will be lubing the tools. I have some lube already

Painting with that size comp shouldn't be a problem.
I've painted things larger than a car with a smaller comp.

Ratchet and impact gun probably OK. My cheap HF ratchet actually uses more CFM than my IR impact (and it's the older version of the Thunder Gun).

I don't know if I'd spend the money on a blast cabinet, though. Like I said my 8.4 CFM DeWalt/Emglo will barely do something the size of an oil filter, and that's with borderline excruciating wait time. Blast cabinets are kinda pricey, and it'd suck to be out that cash and have to look at it sitting there. You could try one of the cheaper "spot blasters" if you wanted to find out for sure. Honestly, I don't think I'd even reccomend that.

If you don't already have them, I'd get a decent 1/2" impact- I reccomend the IR model 231, a decent 3/8 ratchet- Like a Husky, or even CH or something, and an HVLP spray gun with a "medium" tip.

Painting with that size comp shouldn't be a problem.
I've painted things larger than a car with a smaller comp.

Ratchet and impact gun probably OK. My cheap HF ratchet actually uses more CFM than my IR impact (and it's the older version of the Thunder Gun).

I don't know if I'd spend the money on a blast cabinet, though. Like I said my 8.4 CFM DeWalt/Emglo will barely do something the size of an oil filter, and that's with borderline excruciating wait time. Blast cabinets are kinda pricey, and it'd suck to be out that cash and have to look at it sitting there. You could try one of the cheaper "spot blasters" if you wanted to find out for sure. Honestly, I don't think I'd even reccomend that.

If you don't already have them, I'd get a decent 1/2" impact- I reccomend the IR model 231, a decent 3/8 ratchet- Like a Husky, or even CH or something, and an HVLP spray gun with a "medium" tip.

Thanks for sharing YY1. He had the IR 231C and I'm pretty sure it works. I haven't tried anything yet, cause I didn't want to jump in and haven't torn into anything needing it yet. I have some air tool oil and I guess i should go ahead and oil them. I'm assuming a few drops and keep them leaning upside down so it can work it's magic. I know he did regularly.

Here's the tools and stuff I have. From memory not all work but he said some were rebuildable.

This one was used a bit to clean off surfaces for new gaskets. I don't know if he was able to use it for anything else but I'll experiment as the need arises.

yo7YJyyl.jpg

tTAmaWxl.jpg

Here is the rest of the tools

FxwOdj4l.jpg

This one works I think

rhmr1pil.jpg
eUjCx0Vl.jpg

This works too from memory again but doesn't have any labels

3YK3Ndel.jpg

This is a Snap-On that he said was rebuildable but I don't think it's working now

FmcAfYgl.jpg

439zEtdl.jpg

Sockets etc

AdgBviCl.jpg

Hoses

xXM80b1l.jpg

BrCvWGnl.jpg

Attachments

• rhmr1pil.jpg
    rhmr1pil.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 160
The benefit of re-wiring that for 240, at that age, and its limited output is pointless. Donny is right. I have Craftsman 33 gal that is wired for 240, puts out 6.4cfm, and THAT nearly runs constantly for even a die grinder. So relegate it to tire inflation and other small tasks. Electrician with 25 years experience.

Looks like you're pretty much set.

I'd go ahead and get a cheap paint gun. You might be surprised how good you do.

Scott's right- waste of money. I can do it my self for my Dewalt, and haven't done it yet because it just aint worth it.
(even with $0 labor, and "at cost" parts)

If it was twice the size, it might be a different story.

He's also right that the cut-off might drain your tank. Just gotta try it.
That's a constant airflow tool.

I change my oil, so I don't have particles. They come out, not stay in.
Advance has non-detergent 30 weight if you prefer.
Probably the smart choice.
I also actually use my compressors a lot and the 220 rewire is a benifical, no cost upgrade for me.
I can really tell the difference in power. Not only on my compressors, but my table saws.
Three phase would be great. In a perfect world.
I get by.
Spend the extra money and get rubber hose.
Not PVC. It doesn't flex and you will curse it when it's cold.
My Harbor Freight store has Goodyear rubber hose.
I think it's the only thing they carry that is made in the USA.
Other then the country music they play.

Looks like you're pretty much set.

I'd go ahead and get a cheap paint gun. You might be surprised how good you do.

Scott's right- waste of money. I can do it my self for my Dewalt, and haven't done it yet because it just aint worth it.
(even with $0 labor, and "at cost" parts)

If it was twice the size, it might be a different story.

He's also right that the cut-off might drain your tank. Just gotta try it.
That's a constant airflow tool.

Thanks YY1 the drain cock works .. I got it unstuck so I'll wait on the draincock (he said cock heh heh heh) but I'm still wanting to try it cause it will make life much easier, just not a priority until I get tired of have to lift it with one hand and turn the draincock with the other hand. I'm thinking I need some wood (he said wood heh heh heh) or something else to prop the front leg up that makes it set up higher to give me clearance :) A length of 2 X 4 should do the trick. If it works out, which I think it will I'll post an update.

I did get some use out it a few times and today to air up some tires so at least it does that but haven't used the air tools but I'm getting an itching trigger finger to try it. I almost decided to take off a wheel to see if it would work and how long it would take for the compressor to kick on. But I need to oil them up first.

- - - Updated - - -

I change my oil, so I don't have particles. They come out, not stay in.
Advance has non-detergent 30 weight if you prefer.
Probably the smart choice.
I also actually use my compressors a lot and the 220 rewire is a benifical, no cost upgrade for me.
I can really tell the difference in power. Not only on my compressors, but my table saws.
Three phase would be great. In a perfect world.
I get by.
Spend the extra money and get rubber hose.
Not PVC. It doesn't flex and you will curse it when it's cold.
My Harbor Freight store has Goodyear rubber hose.
I think it's the only thing they carry that is made in the USA.
Other then the country music they play.

I'm getting tired of fighting that damn hose in the few times I've used it so another air hose solution will be in my future before long. I may get the one Gpuller posted but will probably shop around because I over think everything LOL

- - - Updated - - -

On the hoses...I have the Flexzilla hoses from Legacy. They are supper flexible and dont have a memory so they coil up easy.

http://www.amazon.com/Legacy-HFZ3850YW2-Flexzilla-Zilla-Green/dp/B001C6NC7O

I'm thinking I'm gonna be wanting some like this soon. Thanks Gpuller

I just looked at my inlaws air compressor after he passed. And we fired it up and let it sit for a few days. It did have a
leak in the bottom near the drain valve. So out to the junk yard it went. all from sitting unused in a garage
and not bled out often enough.

Try it out before doing any major changes to it. When i heard it leaking I thought it was the pop off valve letting go. Very
unsafe to try to fix.

just my observation.

Sorry for your loss

Matt

Last edited:
I just looked at my inlaws air compressor after he passed. And we fired it up and let it sit for a few days. It did have a
leak in the bottom near the drain valve. So out to the junk yard it went. all from sitting unused in a garage
and not bled out often enough.

Try it out before doing any major changes to it. When i heard it leaking I thought it was the pop off valve letting go. Very
unsafe to try to fix.

just my observation.

Sorry for your loss

Matt

Thanks Matt and I appreciate the condolences. Compressor looks great, drain valve is solid. When I opened it 2 weeks ago no water came out. It was used for less than a year by my bro who bought it brand new and he drained it every time he used it. Still looks brand new. I only mentioned changing the drain cock because it's a pain in the *** to reach it (I have a big belly) and it sits so low to the floor I have to lift the compressor to get my fat hand down there to drain it LOL.

I love how everybody says that compressor isn't good for anything but filling tires. Go through my thread, I have built my entire Coronet so far with almost that exact same compressor just a few years newer. It runs all of my air tools including my paint gun and sand blaster. Granted you may have to stop and let it catch up for some tools and blasting but building a little patients can benefit all of us.

Don't invest in a new compressor anytime soon, run it, use it, see what happens, all else fails then upgrade.

Oh and the harbor freight gravity feed paint gun for like $12 works like a champ. I have been using it on the Coronet and many other projects with great results. Best part is, at that price you can treat em as throw aways if you don't manage to get it clean enough :D

Hey kb, try doing this work with higher end tools and air supply, you'll never go back.

Donny I love your high end tools and your blasting work but this is a low end thead brother. I have the compressor. I'm not buying it. I'm not gonna be taking any blasting jobs away from you anytime soon.

- - - Updated - - -

I love how everybody says that compressor isn't good for anything but filling tires. Go through my thread, I have built my entire Coronet so far with almost that exact same compressor just a few years newer. It runs all of my air tools including my paint gun and sand blaster. Granted you may have to stop and let it catch up for some tools and blasting but building a little patients can benefit all of us.

Don't invest in a new compressor anytime soon, run it, use it, see what happens, all else fails then upgrade.

Oh and the harbor freight gravity feed paint gun for like $12 works like a champ. I have been using it on the Coronet and many other projects with great results. Best part is, at that price you can treat em as throw aways if you don't manage to get it clean enough :D

Thanks Kb I'll keep using it and testing it's limits. I doubt I'll ever be painting a car but I might well try to paint a part so thanks for the sprayer suggestion. Well maybe I'll need to paint a bed frame or something who knows :)

Hey kb, try doing this work with higher end tools and air supply, you'll never go back.

I don't doubt that one bit Donny! I'd take a $2k compressor capable of comfortably running a D/A any day of the week. However, I can't afford to buy one and I pretty much build my car in the driveway..well not pretty much I do. My garage is barely large enough to fit the Coronet let alone work on it. So a compressor that takes up 1/4 of my space is way out of the question just by space constraints.

Not to mention the price I paid for my compressor, I think brand new I paid $200 on sale and with the cast iron compressor it will probably last as long as me.

Well i got Ol' Blue cleaned up and used it to finish putting the skates on. It kicked on a few times but the 3/8" ratchet works and it saved a lot of stress on my old elbow.

Was a welcome friend in that project.

View attachment 133682Air compressor ol blue (3).jpg

Want to come clean up mine? Haha mine is about 8 years newer and looks a whole lot dirtier then that !

Auto Transport Service
Back