• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low compression on rebuilt 440

I'll be doing this in a month or so. I've thought about taking an old torque converter and cut off most of the converter so that only the ring gear and fllexplate mounts are left.

Anybody try this?
I was thinking about that to , going to use front half of broken 727 trans case to use for starter and use flex plate with torque converter and make engine run stand .

I was thinking about that to , going to use front half of broken 727 trans case to use for starter and use flex plate with torque converter and make engine run stand .
Just use the case with the front half of the pump in it. Grease the bushing and the converter hub and u should be good to go. I would maybe use a Chevy bushing in the pump cause it’s a fair bit wider or put 2 bushings in one behind the other. That way the converter has more support. Kim

Last edited:
The sad part is going that long and that many rotations wiping all the cam lube off. "Pre oiling" doesn't resolve that.
Cranking the engine by hand
at slow rotation isn't going
to wipe out a cam lobe.
If that were the case, then
turning it over to find TDC
would've wiped out every
flat tappet cam in existence.
My engine sat wrapped up
for twenty three years on
an engine stand. Periodic
turning over by hand to
keep the juices flowing.
At startup and break-in...
zero issues.

Cranking the engine by hand
at slow rotation isn't going
to wipe out a cam lobe.
If that were the case, then
turning it over to find TDC
would've wiped out every
flat tappet cam in existence.
My engine sat wrapped up
for twenty three years on
an engine stand. Periodic
turning over by hand to
keep the juices flowing.
At startup and break-in...
zero issues.
He ment he has wiped all the cam lube off the lobes with all that rotating.

If still possible, it would be good to slap some new lube on the cam before final start to make sure it has lubrication.

He ment he has wiped all the cam lube off the lobes with all that rotating.

If still possible, it would be good to slap some new lube on the cam before final start to make sure it has lubrication.
All I did after 23 years of
sittin' was to fill the crank-
case and spin the oil
pump. 50 lbs oil pressure.
Most of the assembly lube
on the cam had since dried
up, settled to the bottom
of the pan, with no affect
on the lifters.
The bottom surface of the
dipstick showed just a little
accumulation of the dried
up lube suspended in the oil.
After break-'in, changed the
oil. and is now super clean.
I guess I just got lucky......

I think the cam lube is a secondary measure to prevent damage.
If the engine is fully primed and pre-oiled it should not wipe the cam due to lack of lubrication.
It is a simple and cheap solution for a peace of mind when you fire it up the first time though.

I think the cam lube is a secondary measure to prevent damage.
If the engine is fully primed and pre-oiled it should not wipe the cam due to lack of lubrication.
It is a simple and cheap solution for a peace of mind when you fire it up the first time though.
A big mistake is putting moly lube on the sides of the lifter, don’t, only on face. Thin oil on sides

Auto Transport Service
Back