• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

low idle vacuum options ; Vac canister vs. Vac pump

Here are two photos of my 383’s vacuum pull at idle (8 to 10 inch hg fluctuating) and at a bit over 2000 RPM (17 inch hg). These vacuum readings were made with the booster disconnected.

what cam are you running(maybe i missed it) I'm curious
check for vacuum leaks / adjust timing & carb air / idle ? i found another 3~4" off idle by readjusting the carb. still didnt help ...

i haven't finished installing my vacuum pump yet. i was half way done then my AR parts showed up. so i changed gears and haven't been back in the garage . it's been so cold here lately & i refuse to turn the heat back on in the house

what cam are you running(maybe i missed it) I'm curious
check for vacuum leaks / adjust timing & carb air / idle ? i found another 3~4" off idle by readjusting the carb. still didnt help ...

i haven't finished installing my vacuum pump yet. i was half way done then my AR parts showed up. so i changed gears and haven't been back in the garage . it's been so cold here lately & i refuse to turn the heat back on in the house
The cam specs in my car are unknown. After connecting the rebuilt booster, the brakes seem to work adequately. I’m able to stop the car and don’t have to apply much pressure with my foot on the pedal to do so. I’ve only driven the car one time, at speeds up to 60 mph, since I completed the brake rebuild.

I’ve had a water heater go out in my garage, so that’s what I’m currently dealing with. When I’m able to drive the car again I’ll have more input on how the brakes are functioning..

vacuum booster worked great. made a world of difference. i did mount in the trunk , ran a hard 3/8 steel line basically along the brake line from the frame rail up to the under booster then a Tee. still utilizing what vacuum i have from the engine. with the car running , i cannot hear it working at all. i can hear it slightly with the car off , but my elec fuel pump makes more noise.

Auto Transport Service
Back