• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Low Voltage Output ~12.10 Volts All Engine Speeds

kz5rt2

Local time
10:08 AM
Reaction score
I'm kind of scratching my head with this one. I installed Mopar electronic ignition on a crate Hemi in an early B body. A new problem crept up yesterday when I tried to drive it. Measuring the voltage across the battery is slightly over 12v. I checked the alternator and it's outputting 13.5-13.7, so I know it's not the alternator, swapped with a new one anyway.

I've also swapped out the voltage regulator with a new one, same problem. I have about 1000 miles on the car with no issues.

I've double checked the body ground and battery cables (everything was new).

Have any of you guys seen this problem before?

Thanks!

Might have something to do with the voltage regulator. Full-field it and see what it goes to.

As a wise friend of mine once suggested, "Return to the scene of the crime"... Did all work properly before the install ???
Need more info.. Is all wiring stock / factory original with no modifications ? What is the alt gauge showing when engine is at idle and when reving ?

Battery must have 12.45 volts to be considered 100% charge. Without that all testing is moot
Either charge till batt holds 12.45 or replace

From the basic symptoms you describe, I would hazard a guess that there is a disconnect between the Alternator output post and the battery. It is likely that you have a burnt out fusible link. If you disconnect the battery with the car running and it instantly dies, then you have a disconnect somewhere.

Auto Transport Service
Back