• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Bushing Removal

"Delrin" ?
Don't think you're gonna like
this. Not much give in hard
nylon type materials.

If those are factory
installed bushings, and they
lasted this long, why
change?
Delrin and other plastics get used pretty regularly for bushings in performance handling applications. Stock bushings are very soft and allow enough movement that it's not really acceptable for a performance handling application.

Delrin and other plastics get used pretty regularly for bushings in performance handling applications. Stock bushings are very soft and allow enough movement that it's not really acceptable for a performance handling application.
So you're going to b tracking
the car?
Just curious.

Delrin is pretty unforgiving,
requiring precise alignment.
Not many street
applications will see this
benifit unless certain
machining steps are taken
to ensure no binding occurs.
I've seen delrin bushings
broken in two.

I doubt your're going to see
this type of alignment in
any B-body suspension
component OEM.
47 years as a mechanical
engineer has got to count
for something, when
specializing in powertrain
and suspension on a
variety of vehicles.
Y'all put too much harp
in the latest trends, and
please don't take what
I say as an offense.
Delrin will only work
under precise controlled
conditions.

Last edited:
If you're actually the guy you say you are, you'll understand the compromises engineered into the stock rubber bushings and how they're detrimental to performance handling. Particularly with the grip levels modern tires are capable of. Delrin, UHMW, Polyurethane, etc, have all been working in suspensions since I started building cars and racing well over 40 years ago. They work on performance street cars too.

The delrin bushings we're talking about here are part of a precision set sold by Bergman Autocraft. I have a set myself. I'm a journeyman machinist... they're quite well made.

Are they the right choice if you're just going to cruise to an occasional Cars & Coffee, probably not. If you want to extract the performance levels modern tires are capable of, stock bushings aren't going to get the job done.

Last edited:
Delrin is pretty unforgiving,
requiring precise alignment.
Not many street
applications will see this
benifit unless certain
machining steps are taken
to ensure no binding occurs.
I've seen delrin bushings
broken in two.

I doubt your're going to see
this type of alignment in
any B-body suspension
component OEM.
47 years as a mechanical
engineer has got to count
for something, when
specializing in powertrain
and suspension on a
variety of vehicles.
Y'all put too much harp
in the latest trends, and
please don't take what
I say as an offense.
Delrin will only work
under precise controlled
conditions.

1STMP, I appreciate your concern and cautions against my choice of employing Delrin bushings in my LCAs. However, I am updating/upgrading the entire front end not just the LCA bushings (which were absolutely wiped out by the way).

I’m going with adjustable UCAs (also fitted with Delrin bushings), higher spring rate torsion along with the appropriate shocks, adjustable brake strut rods (to ensure no binding occurs in the LCA), ball joints, tie rods ends, adding stiffening plates, etc… all followed up with the most precise alignment that can be achieved given my particular setup.

I don’t see it as “putting to much harp on the latest trends” as you put it. I see it as taking advantage of proven advancements made in technology, while also maintaining some of the OEM attributes. For example, I am not going full tubular K frame with coil overs (not that there is anything wrong with that), I am still using my stock K frame and torsion bar style suspension with some modern “upgrades.”

If the Delrin bushings do not give the desired effect I’m looking for, well then lesson learned, but given the research I have done, I don’t believe that will be the case. It is true, they will not absorb shock like a rubber or poly bushing would, but that is not why I chose to utilize them.

Again, I respectfully appreciate your insight, experience and willingness to share them with us here.

I let you all know how things shake out when we finally put some miles on.

1STMP, I appreciate your concern and cautions against my choice of employing Delrin bushings in my LCAs. However, I am updating/upgrading the entire front end not just the LCA bushings (which were absolutely wiped out by the way).

I’m going with adjustable UCAs (also fitted with Delrin bushings), higher spring rate torsion along with the appropriate shocks, adjustable brake strut rods (to ensure no binding occurs in the LCA), ball joints, tie rods ends, adding stiffening plates, etc… all followed up with the most precise alignment that can be achieved given my particular setup.

I don’t see it as “putting to much harp on the latest trends” as you put it. I see it as taking advantage of proven advancements made in technology, while also maintaining some of the OEM attributes. For example, I am not going full tubular K frame with coil overs (not that there is anything wrong with that), I am still using my stock K frame and torsion bar style suspension with some modern “upgrades.”

If the Delrin bushings do not give the desired effect I’m looking for, well then lesson learned, but given the research I have done, I don’t believe that will be the case. It is true, they will not absorb shock like a rubber or poly bushing would, but that is not why I chose to utilize them.

Again, I respectfully appreciate your insight, experience and willingness to share them with us here.

Thank you for recognizing
the concerns and for not
taking offense to my
offerings. Not here to
argue, only to help.
I await with curiosity
for a report on how those
bushings perform.
During the build process
for the chassis for my
truck, I used a stress
analysis program that
enhances potential
failures under various
conditions utilizing various
materials for the suspension
bushings (specifically) with
a wide range of durometers.
Not many here have that tool
at their disposal.
Though this thing will be
driven mainly on the street,
it is going to see some track
time.
The least failure rate
recorded was rubber
bushings with a high
durometer and a small
diameter.
The highest failure rate
recorded was with the use
of heim joints.
I certainly do recognise the
intended applications for
each.
DJ
image.png20190620_165813.jpg

If you're actually the guy you say you are, you'll understand the compromises engineered into the stock rubber bushings and how they're detrimental to performance handling. Particularly with the grip levels modern tires are capable of. Delrin, UHMW, Polyurethane, etc, have all been working in suspensions since I started building cars and racing well over 40 years ago. They work on performance street cars too.

The delrin bushings we're talking about here are part of a precision set sold by Bergman Autocraft. I have a set myself. I'm a journeyman machinist... they're quite well made.

Are they the right choice if you're just going to cruise to an occasional Cars & Coffee, probably not. If you want to extract the performance levels modern tires are capable of, stock bushings aren't going to get the job done.
"The delrin bushings we're talking about here are part of a precision set sold by Bergman Autocraft. "

Therein lies the purpose of
concern. Precision. Not
many are going to take this
into consideration when
changing from rubber OEM
to a material that requires
an exact tolerance. You, as
a machinist should
recognise this.
There again, not coming at
you as offensive.

“putting to much harp on the latest trends”
This was just a
generalization. Not ment
for your typical application.
Many here are novice and
look for answers from those
that have suffered similar
problems. The entire
purpose for this site.
I too, still search for
solutions.

Auto Transport Service