• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower steering column part missing?

Mark1972

Local time
7:39 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, can someone tell me what if anything is missing in these photos. I've read that there might be a bushing/bearing/seal that would normally sit in that opening to support the steering shaft and seal it from heat/smoke, etc working it's way up the steering column in to the cab. I'm trying to find a blow up diagram of that spot. I have to pull the steering column anyway to replace the coupling that connects the shaft to the power steering box. Those parts I have, but while the unit is apart, I'd love to make sure it goes back together properly. In my ignorance I never even looked at this part when I swapped engines 3 years ago. Thanks as always for any responses.

IMG_20220619_153833.jpg

IMG_20220619_153926.jpg

Not sure how I missed it not being there. As I said, I never looked at that part before. I'll see if I can find the part and get it ordered. Thank you.

For goodness sake paint the steering column where it’s petty blue the same color as the interior part and detail the shift bracket, shaft and firewall plate:lol:

It's all the same blue brother. Just some of it caught the camera flash. I've never seen a blue that looks so different in various lighting.

IMG_20200907_200400.jpg

Thats the steering shaft inside the shift tube.
Only thing in between the 2 was a dark colored heavy foam seal type packing. Keeps exhaust heat and fumes from traveling up the column itself

The white bearing support is between the shift tube and the outer jacket of the column, see the outer thin wire snap ring? That holds the support in place

So that makes sense. I can see remnants of the old foam seal in the picture. Just curious as to why some people have installed a bearing in that lower opening?

great color! Let me rephrase my post. What color is your interior?
It's black with the silver accents on the seats and door panels. The interior was ordered from Legendary Auto. Then my buddy and I assembled it all. The headliner was probably the toughest part. This is probably the best photo I have. We assembled everything before even deciding on a color. I knew I wanted the black/silver interior, and would find a color that would work. First choice was 1970 Mopar Platinum, then Burnt orange Metallic, then finally the blue. It seems to have worked out. Still, I often wonder what Hemi Street Orange would have looked like?

20180930_144003.jpg

It's black with the silver accents on the seats and door panels. The interior was ordered from Legendary Auto. Then my buddy and I assembled it all. The headliner was probably the toughest part. This is probably the best photo I have. We assembled everything before even deciding on a color. I knew I wanted the black/silver interior, and would find a color that would work. First choice was 1970 Mopar Platinum, then Burnt orange Metallic, then finally the blue. It seems to have worked out. Still, I often wonder what Hemi Street Orange would have looked like?

View attachment 1301719
looks great! So your column is black and of course it’s your ride but the whole column housing including the part exposed in the engine bay should be black as well. The shaft and shift lever and tube should be bare steel so if your pulling the column it would be great time to correct it if you choose to. Great car for sure!

That's crazy... you're missing the bearing and nylon spacer.
doesnt it just flop around when you turn ?

i replaced mine with a sealed metal version i got from ebay for like $11 & used a portion of the old nylon as a spacer, it fit right in the opening of the tube. Came with set screws in the ID race. worked out great and better then the $100 original part. (i thought) but deleted the column shift so i'm not 100% it would work.

i can dig up my p/n if you want.

20210703_095911.jpg

20210703_095919.jpg

20210703_095903.jpg

Ok, so the steering column is out. Before it goes back in I will make sure to strip the paint I foolishly covered it in, and paint match the part of the column to match the interior(black) all the way in to the engine bay as stated earlier, leaving the actual shaft and coupling bare metal. Correct me if I got any of that wrong. Now, I need a little guidance from here. The dowel that is pressed in at the end of the shaft, I have a replacement in the coupling rebuild kit. So I'll push that out. That should allow me to remove the entire steering shaft from the column, and clean it up. There is a bearing and seal at the top of the column, held by a snap ring. I guess I can remove it as well and replace since I've gone this far. My biggest question right now is the auto shift lever. How does that thing come out of the column? There was a wire snap ring, which I removed, but shouldn't the shift lever be removable to replace the plastic bushing?

IMG_20220623_201145.jpg

IMG_20220623_201203.jpg

Ok, so the steering column is out. Before it goes back in I will make sure to strip the paint I foolishly covered it in, and paint match the part of the column to match the interior(black) all the way in to the engine bay as stated earlier, leaving the actual shaft and coupling bare metal. Correct me if I got any of that wrong. Now, I need a little guidance from here. The dowel that is pressed in at the end of the shaft, I have a replacement in the coupling rebuild kit. So I'll push that out. That should allow me to remove the entire steering shaft from the column, and clean it up. There is a bearing and seal at the top of the column, held by a snap ring. I guess I can remove it as well and replace since I've gone this far. My biggest question right now is the auto shift lever. How does that thing come out of the column? There was a wire snap ring, which I removed, but shouldn't the shift lever be removable to replace the plastic bushing?

View attachment 1303387

View attachment 1303388
yep you have the colors right. The pin can be tough to get out sometimes but yes once it’s out and the upper bearing retainer is removed the shaft will come out from the top. The shift lever is part of the inner tube I can’t help much on the lower bearing on column shift I’ve only rebuilt floor shift columns.

1st. consult your service manual. when i did mine , i followed the disassembly instructions and everything worked out. If i remember, the inner shift tube comes out nearly last after everything else is removed.

2nd. if you do decide to completely dismantle the steering column, it was nice to have a jig to put in in the vise. made disassembly / assembly much easier IMO> if you zoom in you can see what i came up with. just an angle bracket bolted to the column.

3 - the top bearing is cheap. if you are going this far, just replace it. i had to come up with a special tool to re-assemble / press it in. I think some people manage with out .

4- when you pull the column shift bracket out , there is a key way. i'd suggest to take lots of photos.

5- time consuming but worth the results in the end. Good Luck to ya!

bracket.jpg

snap ring.jpg

column key.jpg

20210606_135929.jpg

Hey Hubbarocks, I just posted some questions about this. Does that top collar come off if the column is still in the car? Did you have to pull the bearing off first?
Thanks

The steering column does use a bearing at the end
On a 1970 Column as per the OPs car?

No there is not a bearing of any kind.

there is a white column support between the outer jacket and inner shift tube.
The ONLY thing between the steering shaft and inner shift tube is a black foam seal stuffed up inside the tube to help prevent heat and exhaust fumes from traveling up the column to the interior of the car

Auto Transport Service
Back