• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Machining at home.........Finally

Bigred68

Local time
3:20 PM
Reaction score
So I've machined a few things for my dad in the past and he kinda new what I did for a living. I got my mill at home and he saw what I can do, So one day he stopped by and he dropped off a bucket of parts he wanted machined for his Chevelle.

He has a 70 Chevelle and the first part I started making was these headrest buttons. The originals are chromed plastic. I started making them out of 6061 aluminum.

Eventually I'll get to my Charger but thought I would show some of my work.

40349116221_65a752939f_z.jpg

39637966454_bbdfc162d3_z.jpg

40303964022_622d8346bc_z.jpg

The original is in the middle, the chrome was pealing off to my dad spray painted it years ago.

Last edited:
My buddy has a bridgeport - and I envy the work that he can produce form it . . . so you're lucky to have a mill at home ( that's a dream for me some day ) . . .

Nice looking work . . .

X2 - show us your mill ! ! !

SWEET!!!! Keep up the great work.

Those are perfect for the home shop. I’d have a stiff learning curve on the CAD lol.

Those are perfect for the home shop. I’d have a stiff learning curve on the CAD lol.
It's a good start, I just gotta remind myself it's not my machine at work. I don't have a 18k spindle, I can only do135ipm, and I don't have B or C axis, But I'll make it work.

I use mostly Mastercam, their CAD is easy. I also have Solidworks but I'm slow with that. I'm trying to learn Fusion 360, I can get the job done with Fusion but I really don't care for some of the features.

It's a good start, I just gotta remind myself it's not my machine at work. I don't have a 18k spindle, I can only do135ipm, and I don't have B or C axis, But I'll make it work.

I use mostly Mastercam, their CAD is easy. I also have Solidworks but I'm slow with that. I'm trying to learn Fusion 360, I can get the job done with Fusion but I really don't care for some of the features.
Have the prices come down on the software? Last I knew, they were really expensive. I looked up those Tormach mills and they’re surprisingly affordable.

Have the prices come down on the software? Last I knew, they were really expensive. I looked up those Tormach mills and they’re surprisingly affordable.
The software is still very expensive. I have Mastercam X4 at home and use Mastercam 2018 at work. Fusion is free for education, hobby, and shops making under 10k a year, but if you buy a subscription its only $300 a year vs. Mastercams 30K.

I'm 'stuck' with a manual 10x50 Lagun....it works for me but having a CNC would be cool.

Finished the housing of the headrest locks, added some #2-56 tapped holes. Decided to polished them a little, I should have tumbled them first. Just have to finish programing the center button.

The original plastic lock disassembled.
25596089217_d32754023a_z.jpg

39571311895_fc0af608e6_z.jpg

Also just 3D printed the backs.
39571317455_03ef918fae_z.jpg

Almost done, buttons machined, back printed, shim printed, just need small #2-56 screws to put it all together.

0311181015b.jpg
0311181017.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back