• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnetic Tach Mount

Hemicbx

Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
In my Belvedere, I have the tach on the column down low. It's pretty much useless, there's no real room to get it above the column (column shift car), and I want a dash mount. However, I do t want to drill holes in my dash.

So here's my experiment. I bought some neodymium-iron-boron magnets and a junk tach off eBay. These magnets are super strong. I gorilla glued six 10mm disc magnets to the bottom of the dash mount. The magnets are 2mm think so it doesn't raise it up too much.
93F4F209-ECED-472A-8C63-8C1133B27B2C-2586-000001E79F175787_zps8711525b.jpg

Here's a pic of the assembly stuck to the anvil on my vise
BDFFC80F-5E6A-4744-8389-62B54C584D1D-2586-000001E7A7A10CAE_zpsfb595972.jpg

It's a start. I'm not totally satisfied with it yet. I think it will handle normal vehicle accel/decel loads, but I think that road jarring might mess with it.

The tach mount base is 1x3 so I'm going to buy a couple 1x1x1/16 block magnets to get broader coverage and more holding force.

I figure this on my dash isolated by a piece of flannel cloth should be a viable mounting arrangement.

-MHZ

I had a tachometer exactly like that one mounted to the dash by using 6-32 screws and nuts (and washers) through the speaker grill slits. Of course, if you have a radio and front speaker, it obviously wont work. When I removed it last year, I just had to barely touch up the paint on the dash. I have since installed a retro tach on the steering column (floor shift car).

Auto Transport Service
Back