• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum Valve Cover Gaskets?

streetmachine

Local time
7:28 AM
Reaction score
I have a set of Mopar Magnum Valve Covers that I'm going to try to install on a 5.9 Magnum with Edelbrock Performer Heads and LA style covers. I'll be asking some questions over time so I'll start off with the first question. I'm just wondering what a good quality thick gasket is to use with these covers? I have offset rockers since I have aluminum heads along with aftermarket rockers so I'm trying to make sure I clear things all the while sealed. I need to measure the current covers and compare to the old covers. If there isn't a thick gasket I've read I could potentially double gaskets if need be? What is your thoughts on potentially doubling the gasket? The other question is should I install studs with nuts over bolts? Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Doubling up on those gaskets = bad idea.
I just bought some Ansen valve covers for my 5.9. I have Edelbrock gaskets. There kind of thick. As of right now, it’s the wee hours of the morning now. I’ll check the thickness out after the sun comes up and dries things out after this pounding rain we got. Sleep might not be a bad idea ether, LMAO!

I’ve not had a problem with the Edelbrock gaskets before.

Studs or bolts, your call on the valve cover. I like studs just because the locate the gasket and cover better and quicker for an easy install. I often use the “T” handle, 1 piece not the two piece garbage. IIRC, Mr. Gasket material. Nether is better than the other really. Just use a flat washer under the bolt or nut on the stud. It protects the finish without marring up the aluminum.

Doubling up on those gaskets = bad idea.
I just bought some Ansen valve covers for my 5.9. I have Edelbrock gaskets. There kind of thick. As of right now, it’s the wee hours of the morning now. I’ll check the thickness out after the sun comes up and dries things out after this pounding rain we got. Sleep might not be a bad idea ether, LMAO!

I’ve not had a problem with the Edelbrock gaskets before.

Studs or bolts, your call on the valve cover. I like studs just because the locate the gasket and cover better and quicker for an easy install. I often use the “T” handle, 1 piece not the two piece garbage. IIRC, Mr. Gasket material. Nether is better than the other really. Just use a flat washer under the bolt or nut on the stud. It protects the finish without marring up the aluminum.
Thank you for reply. I've heard mixed things about doubling up the gaskets and different methods in doing so. I'd rather get a thick quality gasket I have 1.7 rockers along with a lumpy camshaft. I've seen those Ansen Valve Covers but, I like the Mopar Magnums (my preference) better although similar. The current valve covers came on the vehicle when I bought it so that's why I'm looking for a potential switch plus better sealing. Thank you again.

The Edelbrock valve cover gaskets are 5/16 thick.
I’d also like the MP Magnum valve covers. There ultra pricey since they have not been made in a long time. I seen a link to the Ansen valve covers and picked them up for a lot less than what is a currently crazy pricing of the MP units.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the information and help. I did eyeball the Ansens and may get some eventually to keep as backups.

Auto Transport Service
Back