• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

main cap stud girdle

Davesdart

Local time
12:04 PM
Reaction score
so, I was thinking of going with a stud girdle on my new big block engine build.[thought I would clarify] I purchased billet aluminum main caps for it already. A couple of old timers suggested
that I might want to look into it. My question is this, Is there any place where I can purchase A good quality stud girdle alone?
I don't need all the other crap that comes with it. Nor do I want for people to try to talk me into a whole kit. Any help would be appreciated. NO CHINA REPOPS

Last edited:
so, I was thinking of going with a stud girdle on my new big block engine build.[thought I would clarify] I purchased billet aluminum main caps for it already. A couple of old timers suggested
that I might want to look into it. My question is this, Is there any place where I can purchase A good quality stud girdle alone?
I don't need all the other crap that comes with it. Nor do I want for people to try to talk me into a whole kit. Any help would be appreciated. NO CHINA REPOPS
Did you check "440 Source" ?

You want the BCR one. Somebody bought them out, I believe ...

I like the girdle that BRC Products makes in Michigan. Caps and Girdle System

They don't list it individually, but I would guess they would sell it as a lone purchase.

In my opinion this is the only girdle worth buying do to the way it's attached the block first and then the oil pan is attached afterwards.

Tom

Last edited:

They don't list it individually, but I would guess they would sell it as a lone purchase.

In my opinion this is the only girdle worth buying do to the way the it's attached with oil pan studs first and then the oil pan

is attached afterwards.

Tom
I am going to call tomorrow

In my opinion this is the only girdle worth buying do to the way the it's attached with oil pan studs first and then the oil pan

is attached afterwards.

Tom
I am going to call tomorrow

Curious…. Why would you want the girdle without any of the necessary fastener hardware? it’s pretty much useless without the proper fasteners.

Curious…. Why would you want the girdle without any of the necessary fastener hardware? it’s pretty much useless without the proper fasteners.
Useless if you don't have the other stuff. Just plain silly to ask without having the studs, shims, and bolts, which I do.Engine already has pan studs.

My friend John has built a least a dozen engines with a girdle he designed and has cut on a laser. He doesn't even use main studs, but instead uses 4-1/2" long Grade 8 cap screw bolts and makes his own spacers from 4340 PH round bar. The 526" RB in his Daytona has ran 5.27 @ 127 mph for 10 plus years. He refreshed the rings a few years ago and the main bearings looked like new, so back in they went. There are a lot of ways to do it. Honestly you can buy a Chinese made girdle for a $100 on eBay and it would do the same job. The girdle just reduces harmonics and keeps the caps from walking around. I spent the money on the BRC because I liked the design allowing the girdle to be bolted on first and allowing the oil pan to be pulled without disturbing the girdle later on. In my opinion it's a more rigid setup than trying to squish the girdle/ two gaskets/ plus the oil pan all on with the same nut and I had the money to blow on it. However it weighs a lot more than the 1/4" girdle does. John's uses a 1/4" thick plate and has less than $100 in his including the hardware. It does all that any girdle is going to provide regardless of the cost as evident by the bearings coming out in perfect condition after years of use. It's not a high tech solution, but helps right up until the block splits down the middle when the bulkheads give out.

Tom

My friend John has built a least a dozen engines with a girdle he designed and has cut on a laser. He doesn't even use main studs, but instead uses 4-1/2" long Grade 8 cap screw bolts and makes his own spacers from 4340 PH round bar. The 526" RB in his Daytona has ran 5.27 @ 127 mph for 10 plus years. He refreshed the rings a few years ago and the main bearings looked like new, so back in they went. There are a lot of ways to do it. Honestly you can buy a Chinese made girdle for a $100 on eBay and it would do the same job. The girdle just reduces harmonics and keeps the caps from walking around. I spent the money on the BRC because I liked the design allowing the girdle to be bolted on first and allowing the oil pan to be pulled without disturbing the girdle later on. In my opinion it's a more rigid setup than trying to squish the girdle/ two gaskets/ plus the oil pan all on with the same nut and I had the money to blow on it. However it weighs a lot more than the 1/4" girdle does. John's uses a 1/4" thick plate and has less than $100 in his including the hardware. It does all that any girdle is going to provide regardless of the cost as evident by the bearings coming out in perfect condition after years of use. It's not a high tech solution, but helps right up until the block splits down the middle when the bulkheads give out.

Tom
Ask John to cut me one please.

Useless if you don't have the other stuff. Just plain silly to ask without having the studs, shims, and bolts, which I do.Engine already has pan studs.

ok. but pan studs are not the only items, and standard pan studs dont work, they need to be longer because of the thickness of the girdle. There are mainstuds that are specific length (standard studs don’t work). There are shim washers, nut washers. There are maincap nuts, girdle nuts….. it’s quite a hardware package that comes with it.

Your build, though. Good luck

ok. but pan studs are not the only items, and standard pan studs dont work, they need to be longer because of the thickness of the girdle. There are mainstuds that are specific length (standard studs don’t work). There are shim washers, nut washers. There are maincap nuts, girdle nuts….. it’s quite a hardware package that comes with it.

Your build, though. Good luck
First off I am just some dumb ***. You fail to understand, when I say I have all the other components, I have all the necessary hardware. I just need a new plate. AND I found it.

Auto Transport Service
Back