• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Main studs and windage tray

hoover

Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
i dropped my 440 block at the machine shop today.
The guy told me to get some studs ordered for it.
This is going to be 4.125" stroke.
The arp studs in the summit catalog states that the will not work with a windage tray.
I was going to order a tray when i order my crankshaft.
Will the tray for the stroker not fit?
What keeps it from working?

That's a new one ... why wouldn't the tray fit with studs, they're nowhere near the tray.

Mopar BB windage tray attaches to the oil pan rail, so there is no issue.

Summit says those studs are for big blocks and small blocks. Maybe they won't work with a small block bondage tray.
Edit: "bondage" tray? I f-ing HATE auto incorrect!!!

I would assume that the original main bolt heads would finish out closer to the main caps than nuts with the studs protruding through them. Maybe there is not enough room to keep the tray from being held down too far?

Well whatever it says ... my stroker windage tray fits just fine in my 526 with ARP studs. The only issue is with the back two - you have to ding the oil pan with a ball peen hammer so it'll clear those nuts.

Well whatever it says ... my stroker windage tray fits just fine in my 526 with ARP studs. The only issue is with the back two - you have to ding the oil pan with a ball peen hammer so it'll clear those nuts.

Thanks for the confirmation.
This is why men don't read instructions

They won't work with the OE small block windage tray because it attaches via bolts to tapped holes in the heads of 4 of the main cap bolts. As stated by others, big block is no issue.

Summit says those studs are for big blocks and small blocks. Maybe they won't work with a small block bondage tray.
Edit: "bondage" tray? I f-ing HATE auto incorrect!!!

I don't wanna know what you do with your tray....
:lol:

Auto Transport Service
Back