• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

main studs

Aluminum caps will help. Not a complete cure all. I've broken a block through the mains with them. Girdle is another. Personaly don't believe it does squat for up and down cap movement. It can help with fore/aft cap movement. Be aware that the oil pan will be closer to the k frame using a girdle. I'd cut the k frame for pan clearance anyway.
Doug

Upgrading a stock block is not cheap, but there are not that many alternatives currently.
With the girdle, you will have to figure out the internal oil pickup routing and depth.
I have the Milodon low profile 7-quart pan and it clears the K-Member on the '71 Charger.
The pickup on the other hand I ended up custom making after messing up the milodon one trying to re-shape it.
Also, with the girdle, a stock windage tray clears the crank and rods. Don't need a deep "stroker" windage tray.

My 470 was built in 1998. It has a BRC 1/2 in girdle. Stock main caps. Ohio crank, Eagle rods and Jahns pistons. It was refreshed in 2013. Bearings looked like brand new. It got new valve springs and new roller lifters. It went to 7000 for about 1000 passes Then it got a dual tunnel ram With nos. 8000 rpm shifts for another 400 or so passes. Still hanging in there. Kim

no time to skimp now, the expense overall in the big picture is really not that much and good insurance, i just did all that except i went steel main caps with studs, and waiting to install 1/4" girdle. scat crank and rods/2000 bolts, no place to skimp either on the rod bolts. had it all professionally assembled at s&s machine, hayward. money well spent. your heads and cam will determine how much xtra "strenght" u will need down below.View attachment 994571
What caps are Those?? what power levels you running and what girdle? Thanks

If nothing else, my Aluminum caps probably saved my block when my crank cracked.

20201107_110318.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back