• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Make My Own Metering Plate?

PurpleBeeper

Local time
9:24 PM
Reaction score
I've got a '70 4spd six pack setup with front carb #4382. It's been running "pig rich" and the carbs have been modified, so I'm trying to put them back to stock and work from there.

This particular carb (#4382) calls for a 34R-6153-34 metering plate. I can't seem to find this metering plate (at least Chicago Carburetor & Six Pack Performance don't have any). Right now, I have a 34R-6153-35 metering plate in BOTH my front & rear carb since that's all I can find. Art at Six Pack Perf. was kind enough to tell me the orifice holes on the -34 plate are .089" pass. & 0.093" driver's side. I'm trying to avoid the expense of the ProMax metering plates with regular Holley jets in them.

Does anyone know how I can make my own -34 plate? Is there a similar secondary metering plate out there (same configuration with smaller holes) that I can just drill out to .089"/.093"? What about the -35 metering plates?

Thanks for Your Help!

what size are the main orifices in the plates you have now?

what size are the main orifices in the plates you have now?

Hey Lewtot184, I'm not exactly sure. Right now I'm running the 34R-6153-35 plates in both the front and the rear carbs. My original plates I drilled out myself back in '85 or so (stupid me).

Since I've been chasing this rich issue, I've been trying to "un-modify" the carbs to get a good starting point. I "thought" that front/rear on a '70 4spd were both -35's, but now I see on the Chicago Carburetor site that the #4382 (front) should use a -34 metering plate & the #4383 (rear) uses the -35 metering plate I already have in there. It might not amount to a hill of beans, but I'm trying to get everything back 100% stock as a starting point.

To answer your question...."whatever size the -35 plates come stock" since I have un-drilled -35's in both my front/rear carbs.

looking at a plate i have it measures .089/.093. revised bulletin #2 states: .089/.089 front and .093/.093 rear with heat blocked and edelbrock intake. i don't think there's much to be had by going larger than .093 on all corners in a mufflered street car. i doubt the plates are your issue.

looking at a plate i have it measures .089/.093. revised bulletin #2 states: .089/.089 front and .093/.093 rear with heat blocked and edelbrock intake. i don't think there's much to be had by going larger than .093 on all corners in a mufflered street car. i doubt the plates are your issue.

Thanks lewtot184, but I'm a little confused. Are you saying you have a 34R-6153-34 or a 34-6153-35 plate that measures .089" pass / .093" driver?

My issue is that I think the stock plates for my carbs are 34R-6153-34 (front/4382) and 34R-6153-35 for the rear/4383 carb. I have two stock, undrilled 34R-6153-35 plates, so I've got the stock rear/4383 plate, though I have no idea what the metering hole sizes are.

I'm wondering if I can make my own front plate that's .089"/.093"? I'm shooting for absolutely bone-stock, non-oversized metering holes front & back.

Maybe I should ask this question..... What are the fuel orifices (driver/passenger) on a -34 metering plate? On a -35 metering plate?

Also, are there any metering plates the same configuration as a -34 plate with smaller holes that I could drill out to make my own -34 plate? I've seen a partial list of metering plate hole sizes but it didn't list the -34 plate + I don't know if I can just use a metering plate out of the back of a 3310-3 Holley 4-barrel (or other carb) and modify it or not.

i've got 34 and 35 plates. the numbers i gave you are what my plates measure. actually the .089/.093 plates were for cast iron intakes. to my knowledge all alum intake carbs had .089/.089 up front and .093/.093 rear. a lot may depend on your engine modifications like cam, headers, heads, etc.

Not to hi jack the subject LEW but where is the best buy on repop six pack carbs?
the places mentioned above?? Any place else?
thanks,
Mitch

Not to hi jack the subject LEW but where is the best buy on repop six pack carbs?
the places mentioned above?? Any place else?
thanks,
Mitch
i haven't bought new carbs since the mid '90's. i'd just look for the best price with a vendor you trust. i don't think there are any deals, but could be wrong. i do so much stuff myself to where i'm just not vendor savvy anymore.

For me Jegs was the best price.

Lew couldn't he just plug and redrill the orifices ?

For me Jegs was the best price.

Lew couldn't he just plug and redrill the orifices ?
back in the day, and i mean way back, i used lead plugs and drilled and tap for jets. in my opinion, the real issue is that there are no major gains from rejetting with a stock or moderately modified engine.

here's the 1971 factory race jetting (probably s/s, big cam, headers, etc.): front-.093/.089, .070IFR

center- 65 jets, .052PVCR

rear- .093/.099, .070IFR

- - - Updated - - -

I bought these QF metering plates a while ago for a future rebuild....

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qft-34-3/overview/

Would these be useful to Purplebeeper ?? :hello2:
i've got a set of those. they don't fit very good, but might work better if the quick fuel float is used vs the holley float.

I bought these QF metering plates a while ago for a future rebuild....

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/qft-34-3/overview/

Would these be useful to Purplebeeper ?? :hello2:

Thanks kiwigtx... those plates are a lot cheaper than Promax ones, but do they come with floats? The Summit link mentions side-hung floats & notched floats, but they're not shown in the picture. I know I should be using adjustable front/rear metering plates, but cash is really tight for me right now. Summer is just about here and I can't justify much money spent on the ole' runner to my wife.... but I want to drive it!

I worked on this problem all last summer.... I want to drive the car "on the cheap" for now. I'm very tempted to just leave the un-drilled 35 plates in both the front & rear carbs, but I'm STILL not sure what effect that will have. All I know is the book says -34 plates on the front a 4382 front '70 carb & I've got a -35 in there and it won't idle right & is running very, very rich.

I've got a cast-iron intake, Comp Cams 21-224-4 278/286-488/491 cam (downsized from old 292/509 purple cam), about 10:1, cast-iron heads if that helps.

I installed them in my carbs with out issue (the QF plates) just recently. Also make sure your timing I set correctly. Something like 16-20. Use a vacuum gage to set timing and idle till highest reading is obtained then start on the carbs.

Thanks kiwigtx... those plates are a lot cheaper than Promax ones, but do they come with floats? The Summit link mentions side-hung floats & notched floats, but they're not shown in the picture. ...............

No...you get the plates only for that price. Floats are extra - and I did not go ahead with the mods just yet. I am running a period Holley carb for now, and it works great.

No...you get the plates only for that price. Floats are extra - and I did not go ahead with the mods just yet. I am running a period Holley carb for now, and it works great.

I was unable to find a -34 plate, so I kind of changed boats mid-stream & bought two 34-3 Quick Fuel metering plates & two sets of #80 and #83 jets (will start with 80's since I've been running rich). I also got one of those mechanical advance limiter plates for the distributor and an un-drilled center carb metering body (my current one has power valve holes drilled). I'm going to give this six pack one more good chance. I'm going to re-set the valve lash (adj rockers), check the plugs, set the timing until as dead-on as possible, rebuild the carbs again using #80 jets in QF outboards, 31 squirter, white accel pump cam in #1 hole, 30cc accel pump, switch from short yellow outboard springs to long yellow, dial in the fuel mixtures on all three carbs & re-set timing if necessary. I may be dreaming, but I want to hook up the vacuum advance if I can, but I'm not holding my breath. I should know in 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:
Good Luck Purple!! I must say you've BEEN AT IT HARD BRO!!

I finally found most of my metering plate info. The -34 front plates (one's I can't find) have main metering holes of .089"/.089" and the -35 plates are .086" pass//093" driver, so I can't quite make a -34 out of a -35 since driver's side main fuel hole is already bigger. What other secondary metering plates would physically fit? Is there another plate with .086"/.086" (or something like that) which could be drilled out to make a -34 plate?

I'm also realizing that there are IDLE fuel holes in the metering plates in addition to MAIN fuel holes. My issues seem to be related primarily to idle fuel mixture & I'm currently trying to "jet down" to make sure I'm not making my idle mixture too rich because I'm way over-jetted. The -35 plates I have now in both front/back aren't drilled out at all (idle or main)....hmmm... this ain't getting any easier.

Last edited:
I've got a '70 4spd six pack setup with front carb #4382. It's been running "pig rich" and the carbs have been modified, so I'm trying to put them back to stock and work from there.

This particular carb (#4382) calls for a 34R-6153-34 metering plate. I can't seem to find this metering plate (at least Chicago Carburetor & Six Pack Performance don't have any). Right now, I have a 34R-6153-35 metering plate in BOTH my front & rear carb since that's all I can find. Art at Six Pack Perf. was kind enough to tell me the orifice holes on the -34 plate are .089" pass. & 0.093" driver's side. I'm trying to avoid the expense of the ProMax metering plates with regular Holley jets in them.

Does anyone know how I can make my own -34 plate? Is there a similar secondary metering plate out there (same configuration with smaller holes) that I can just drill out to .089"/.093"? What about the -35 metering plates?

Thanks for Your Help!

Q/F has a cast plate,1/2 the price of the billet ( picture attached) and there are no fitment issues or float interference but you have to get it directly from Q/F.As for Promax,never could figure out why they are priced as high as they are. I have quite a few plates if you choose to go with original.You say you are running rich,at speed or at idle and also what jets in center carb? P1090616.JPGP3220743.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back