• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making more legroom...

MarPar

If it weighs, it pays
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:33 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for thoughts and suggestions on getting more legroom in my car (not a B-body, but a MoPar nonetheless).

Is it really as simple as measuring back and having at it? I would think making the holes as far back on the hump without going over would work, with an an equal distance back on the front ones, obviously.

only real hang up I can think of, is if there is anything underneath that would not allow the nuts to sit flush to the pan.

DSC04454.jpg

Check the bottom of the seat frame, normally you can relocate the studs forward.

I did explore that possibility, but it would only move like a 1/2".

and the bolts are a bit quirky. they have like a square nut looking thing retaining the bolt in the hole and it doesnt look like it would be a very common item.

Ill snap a few pics when I get home.

Depending on how far you want to go, I think one item to consider is whether the seat belts will still be in a usable location after the move.

true. I didnt think of that. im thinkin they should be useable though.

it's a bench seat (sorry, I failed to mention that) and the belts get fed through where the seat back and the top of the bottom meet.

the hole that is in the trans tunnel is where the belts bolt up.

I welded flat stock to the bottom of the seat tracks to set the tracks back about 3 inches in my 64 dodge using the stock hole locations. worked great.

I welded flat stock to the bottom of the seat tracks to set the tracks back about 3 inches in my 64 dodge using the stock hole locations. worked great.

The seat isnt "back heavy?" I know they are bolted in and everything, but it would seem to me that they would have a tendency to rock back...

maybe im not visualizing it right, do you have any pics?

IM001657.JPG
The seat isnt "back heavy?" I know they are bolted in and everything, but it would seem to me that they would have a tendency to rock back...

maybe im not visualizing it right, do you have any pics?

The best way to describe it is the flat stock is two inches longer than the seat track when it is attached with the holes located positioning the tracks back 2 to 3 inches. The flat stock was a 1/4 inch thick 1 inch wide the track is stronger than the stock piece so the seat will not rock back. and the seat belts fit fine. The picture is the best I can do since I sold that car but you can tell the room from seat to IP.IM001658.JPG

oh ya, I can definitely see a difference in the seat position.

still not able to visualize the actual seat track and welded bar orientation.

that year seat may be a different design that the one I have and maybe that's why im not getting it.

ill snap a few pics of the bolts and the seat tracks so y'all can see what im working with. (69 Newport btw :) )

oh ya, I can definitely see a difference in the seat position.

still not able to visualize the actual seat track and welded bar orientation.

that year seat may be a different design that the one I have and maybe that's why im not getting it.

ill snap a few pics of the bolts and the seat tracks so y'all can see what im working with. (69 Newport btw :) )

Let me try to explain it better. Lay flat stock out where seat tracks mount flat stock should be 3 inches or more longer than seat track. Position seat on flat stock where you would like the seat to be mark both ends of seat track on flat stock to position for welding also mark flat stock from below car for holes for mounting this will move seat back and also mount to stock floor holes.

ok, so I took a look at the seat track and think I know what you're talkin bout, Black.

you actually take the triangular piece (that bolts to floor) that is riveted to the seat track itself and weld flat stock to the track. then rivet or bolt the track back to the triangular piece. am I close?

DSC05423.jpg

Google "seat relocation brackets" maybe some of them will work for you.

ok, so I took a look at the seat track and think I know what you're talkin bout, Black.

you actually take the triangular piece (that bolts to floor) that is riveted to the seat track itself and weld flat stock to the track. then rivet or bolt the track back to the triangular piece. am I close?

View attachment 316102

I put the flat stock between the floor and the seat track. The piece in your picture(seat riser) with the studs is what I welded the flat stock to then bolted the whole assembly to the floor. The studs on the riser would come out and they would now be on the flat stock to bolt to the floor.

Ah! I get it now! :headbang:

Did you buy new bolts? It doesn't look like they can be re-used

Yes bought new bolts and nuts/washers grade 8. You can weld in the bolt to the riser or what I did just a clearance holes and bolt and nut.

I moved my seat back about 2.5". I did this by measuring the locations of the new holes and drilling. Then I welded in some reinforcement plates to the underside of the floor and bolted the seat in.

The problem I found was the rear bolts were now in the foot area for the rear passengers, which made the back of the seat about 2" lower than normal. The fix for this was to cut the rear studs off the seat tracks, weld 5/8x4" grade 8 bolts into where the studs were, then I welded two old 2" sockets I had in the tool box over the bolts, and then welded 1.25" washers to the other end of the sockets. These lift the back of the seat the required two inches once the seat is reinstalled.

I did take a look underneath and there are cross members where the bolts go thru now, and if I were to drill holes and weld supports, etc, the cross members would interfere to the point where I would have to chop them back thereby weakening the entire floorboard.

I may do a version of what you did, Bruce. Just cut the damn bolts off the tracks and re-weld them further forward and that will push the seat back by an inch and half or so.

According to legend, the 3rd owner of my GTX succeeded in gaining more leg room by simply pushing the front seats forward.......didn't do an awful lot for the headliner .... I guess that's not gonna help ya out this time Marpar.

Auto Transport Service
Back