• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mallory condensers

miller

Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
Doubt there's a good answer...so, I'll just rant!:D

I've changed more condensers on my Mallory, that I care for. What the hell? (Yeah, some of you can go ahead, and laugh yer a$$ off!)

Had just changed one bad one, for one of the four I had bought. Not even 200 miles on it, trip to the whiskey house, and on the way back, started intermitently cutting out. Like someone turning the ignition off momentarily. Started getting worst, but made it to the house.
Not worth a damn!

Any chance of an alternate condenser, that could be used?? These are #400. Does Mallory make the only ones that will work on a dual point?
I'll toss in a note here...been said, needs a longer wire lead...why? Where mine mounts, normal length lead reaches fine.

Have a picture and how many MFD? The new ones are all like that.

Last edited:
Have a picture and how many MFD?
Date made?
Not sure. Probably all pretty recent, past handful of years. Still have one in the package, so I'll look.
Bought all four, from where (can't remember) was supposed to be a good source. Have one left. Four gone bad, in just over a 1,000 miles! Unreal.
Yeah, I'll look my wiring over, but doubt that's it.

MFD Microfarads. The cap should have a number on it somewhere. Prob have something that will work have a bunch of .25-.285 MFD

I have horror stories for sure on the newly made stuff, wont use it at all! NOS or NORS for me and my rebuilds.

Ah ha! So, that's why I'm not an electrician, engineer, or tech!

An interesting read on the mess...
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ignition-condenser-problems.1014719/

There's marine supply houses around, so might look at the two part #s mentioned,
580256 or 580231 condensers for Mallory. Heavy duty?
Also, in the linked page, they talk about excessive heat, possibly knocking the condensers out.

Still looking...and, Thanks!!

Listed at 0.28 MFD, 600 v.

True that one with higher MFD would work?

Mallory used an externally mounted large diameter condenser on their old "Double Life" distributors. These double life distributors were points actuated, using Mallory points. The distributor used a four (4) lobe cam, with points oriented at 90° degrees with respect to each other, so one set of points provided the make-break for the coil's primary for four cylinders while the other set of points provided the make-break cirrcuit for the coil's primary for the other four cylinders. The theory was each set of points only switched half of the coil's primary current therefore, they lasted twice as long (as a single set of points) hence the name Double Life.
An important consideration regarding the capacitor besides its capacity, usually stated as micro farads (MFD) is the voltage rating expressed as VDC. This is the maximum rating the internal insulation can withstand b4 failing. USUALLY, the more MFD's the larger the diameter will be. The mfds should be in the range of 0.2 - 0.4 mfd (to match the coil's primary impedance) with a vdc rating of at least 400 vdc. Even though the coil is fed ~ 12v, when the triggering device (points or electronically switched ) turns OFF the coil's primary current to create the spark, the impressed voltage generated by the coil's collapsing magnetic field, generates a primary voltage spike of several hundred volts. This is the voltage the condenser must be capable of absorbing without failure. The higher the capacitor's voltage rating the better. Perhaps you could consider this condenser as a fix for your issues. This is just my opinion of course.
Bob Renton

The Mallory condensers have been junk for about ten years. Either they work or they don't. They might last a year, they might last five minutes.

Did some research and came up with these.
20190525_111848.jpg

If you care to punish your self , I think I still got an old DU-COIL distributor around , You will blow your mind trying to figure out the firing order.

Miller would this work?
Hehe...I'd sure be interested in trying out that condenser!
Off that linked page I posted, is talk about using them, having a heavier case. Like the one on my old Mallory Rev-Pol, I dropped in my 69 R and R.

Did some research and came up with these.
Thanks for that, KK! Yeah, I'll drop by Nappy, and see if they have one. (Usually have to 'order' any damn thing I want, and tag a shipping charge on.)

If you care to punish your self , I think I still got an old DU-COIL distributor around
That's a new one on me. Yep, gluten for punishment, but I keep myself in enough trouble!

Mallory used an externally mounted large diameter condenser on their old "Double Life" distributors.
Thanks for that! A Double Life was the first Mallory dual point, back then, I got my hands on.

Appreciate all the good thoughts, guys!!

I'll be dropping those Mallory condensers, like a hot rock, and get something that actually works.

I have had good luck with the delco nos ones for the mopars, not one fail yet. If you cant find anything shoot me a pm with the lead leangth prob have one somewhere.

Delco, huh...okay. Appreciate that! I'll keep your offer in mind.

Sad state...Ecklin...won't even give stats on condensers.

The new ones really suck. I gave up on them I run them through a few cycles on the bench cold then hot they fail half the time hot.

Just about all the new stuff if you can find them blue streak only fail about 25% of the time.

Sad state...Ecklin...won't even give stats on condensers.

What do you need? The one I posted I'm useing on my Mallory dual point with the Mallory coil. I have just over a hundred miles on it so far. It's probably the only one out there with that lenth lead.

If it wasn't up to specs, it probably wouldn't have lasted this long. There's not that much difference between the discharge specs for most V8 condensers.

What do you need?
Ecklin condensers, I was looking for the MFD info, on 'em. Nadda.
The difference between mine, mechanical advance, and your's w/ vacuum advance, is the only reason I see, why you need a longer lead. Condensers mount slightly different locations. But, I picked up a ECH RR174, and will give it a shot, with it's 2 3/4" lead.

A 100 miles? Lol. I've put thousands of miles on a condenser, never a fart. Bad habits, in the day to 'do a tune-up', once a year. Plugs, cap, rotor, points, and condenser.

Auto Transport Service
Back