• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maltese Cross.

I'd have to look in a FSM but those meant something was not standard. Valve stems maybe?
Mike

Factory rebuild or so? (manufacturer error?)
Maltese cross on the ID pad also means reconditioned or so right?

I know that this engine had machine work done, and it was ported. So maybe the person who worked on it struck them in there? The crank was .010 under, and cylinders bored .030 over. Don't know if it has been milled but I would expect so seeing as how the other work was done. I didn't expect to see them on the bottom surface of the heads though.

Measure the pad at the bottom of the head. They normally measure one inch from the factory.
20170118_183004.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong, but I remember something that when the crankshaft journals were out of tolerance, they went for the next undersize during building the engine from factory.
In that case they would stamp a Maltese cross on the pad to indicate the different size bearings.

Just the weird location confuses me, maybe the heads were decked another round at the factory due to not being perfectly flat?

Without looking in FSM oversize valve stems. Looked in 66 FSM and oversized stems are stamped O/S didn't notice if on head or pad.

My Hemi has the cross stamped on the engine pad. I think that means undersized crank.

Here's the location.
0601181452_HDR.jpg

There isn't any similar stamp on the engine pad. Just here on the intake side of the heads.

The only thing I can is check valve stem size to see if they're O/S.

It might belong to the Maltese Falcon. Might want to call Bogart and Bacall on this one.......:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, member Wietse may be correct on his response. I heard of the same explanation on a 64

Just the weird location confuses me, maybe the heads were decked another round at the factory due to not being perfectly flat?

Thats why I posted the pic where you can take a measurement. Less than one inch can show the amount decked. It's not a exact location to get an accurate reading but It can show there was machining done. There's a more time consuming measurement that's taken on the surface of the head.

I would think if Chrysler did it, it wouldn't be hidden there. It would be on a spot where it could be identified easily, that way if oversized valves were needed they could tell right away. I have a 452 NOS with one oversize valve but I can't get to it easily. I'll try and see if there is any notation on it.

So, with an oversized valve, what do they mean?
Is the valve stem bigger in diameter or is the valve guide of different dimensions?

The crank was .010 under but no Maltese cross on the engine pad so it was done after delivery. If the .010 under deal holds true then something on this head is .010 under.

Auto Transport Service
Back