• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Gearbox removal

GearAddict

Local time
5:34 PM
Reaction score
I'm replacing the gearbox on my 69 RR. Seems pretty straight forward according to the FSM except I'm confused about 1 statement.

Page 19-3 Gear removal: States to loosen the column to instrument panel clamp nuts and then slide column back enough to disengage the steering coupler from the gearbox worm shaft...sounds fine but don't I have to also unbolt the column from the firewall to pull it back? or does it float?

sorry if it's a dumb question, I've never had the column out before.

Iirc you have to unbolt from the firewall too. I dont think there is enough slop to get it back far enough

The column does float. It can be a pain to get it back into the bottom plate that bolts to the floor. The slip yoke and column move just enough so that you can change the gear box. If you aren't putting a manual box back in, the column is different for power steering. Also don't forget the roll pin in the slip yoke.

Thanks... a Manual box is going back in. Sounds like, pull the roll fin and slide the column back and I should be good.

I've got the column loose and am trying to get the coupler off of the splined shaft on the gearbox. But it seems pretty stuck on there. I tried levering with a 3 ft pry bar and couldn't get it to budge... Any suggestions on how best to separate these?

Also are the nuts that the gear is bolted to welded to the frame?.. Doesn't look like there's a way to get to them with a wrench.

Hi GearAddict,

Seems like you and I are working on many of the same things! See: http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?72346-Steering-Gear-Removal

Hope that helps some. This was on a 73, but I think it is much the same. It was a PITA to get apart, and also a PITA to ut back together. My son and I had to REALLY clean the splines on both the male and female ends, and then also grease them a little bit to ease installation.

I did practice my French when I did this though! :icon_fU:

Auto Transport Service
Back