• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marine/Deep Cycle batteries in diesel pickup?

I have two batteries in my diesel, it came with optima red top when i got it, they went bad, got replaced under warrentee. Later, one went bad after it was out of wattantee. The pair of optimas would have been nearly $500, so i put in two interstates from costco for under $200. Im happy.
Funny thing is, the one redtop is eleven years old and still holds a charge, and so does the seven year old interstate i took out of my 62.

Well, going with one for now and see how it goes. It's been starting ok with the old batteries but the starter has been a bit slow even after charging them but once it's running, the alternator charges them up even more and the starter turns normally even after sitting for a day. It's when it sits for several days that things get slower....

Well Cranky, the big diesels run 4 usually. Takes a lot of amps in the cold and cables as big/bigger than your thump(2/o,1/o). Personally I wouldn't go deep cycle, wrong application like said above. PLUS, diesels have 12.5/13+ compression.

You think they will run on that. Figure use to be around 24.

Mine is 17-1....

Well, going with one for now and see how it goes. It's been starting ok with the old batteries but the starter has been a bit slow even after charging them but once it's running, the alternator charges them up even more and the starter turns normally even after sitting for a day. It's when it sits for several days that things get slower....
That sounds like one of them is getting weak and draining the other. (Dead or dying cell?) That symptom description is exactly what happens to mine when one goes away. If you had a single battery, you might need a jump. When one of my redtops went sour, i just replaced both with interstates, kept both redtops for a bit, checked with a vom, one showed 12.5v, one showed 10, the next day, 9v.
The good redtop still holds a charge at eleven years old.

That sounds like one of them is getting weak and draining the other. (Dead or dying cell?) That symptom description is exactly what happens to mine when one goes away. If you had a single battery, you might need a jump. When one of my redtops went sour, i just replaced both with interstates, kept both redtops for a bit, checked with a vom, one showed 12.5v, one showed 10, the next day, 9v.
The good redtop still holds a charge at eleven years old.
Well, somehow I ended up with a battery that was 3 years newer than the other.....7 and 10.

The diesels use 2 batteries cause the start needs to overcome the compression of the engine.

Cranky, if ya can, find an AGM battery with a minimum of 750 CCA’s. Mine on my new to me 11’ will be due for new batteries next year, they’ll run about $400 for the pair and I’ll be getting AGM type of battery.

Auto Transport Service
Back