• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master cylinder to brake booster gasket?

idrivemopar

Local time
7:29 PM
Reaction score
Is there really supposed to be a gasket between the master cylinder and the brake booster assembly? Just wondering because the service manual does not show one, and also does not say anything about installing one when re-installing the master cylinder. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows for sure. I also have two different gaskets, one is paper the other is foam so if i use one, does it really matter which one?

I thought it was a foam gasket just for dust and dirt

I wish I knew the answer to this too!

Mine had 2 rubber composite gaskets and a washer or two between booster and M/C just to make the installation even more shady....

I don't believe it matters. I think its a dirt gasket if you choose. I know my master/booster (not a 60's model, its from a 97 Cherokee) doesn't have a gasket

Agreed that most likely the purpose of a gasket is dust/dirt prevention, however, two things, using a gasket will help prevent potential Galvanic corrosion, and secondly, their is an air hole/channel at the bottom of the brake booster where the base of the master cylinder mounts so using a foam gasket may block that hole.

Mine had a thin foam type gasket on it when i replaced my booster...I didn't put it back on..i haven't noticed anything different without it being there...

Have taken three original 68-70 cars apart, and all of them had the foam gasket in place. Just sayin.

Auto Transport Service
Back