• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

matching numbers!

bodk

Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
Hi, since I (re)joint the Mopar world with my 1966 Coronet Conv. I have come across the term "matching numbers". Does anyone knows what this actually mean?

Rgds BoDK

It means original drivetrain. It's an important issue that applies mostly to trailer-queens and garage ornaments.

Wright. How does I check thats the case for my 1966 Coronet 440 conv?

Wright. How does I check thats the case for my 1966 Coronet 440 conv?

Look at the numbers on your block and transmission. They should match your vin number. Really matching numbers is really only important on cars that are rare. Like the Daytona, Superbird, Hemi Cuda, 6 pak cars.

Pre 68 cars, are only date-coded on the engines. No VIN's.

Yep, "matching numbers" does not really apply to a 66 model.

That's great news for you, because as long as your engine is the correct casting and is date coded a few weeks prior to the car...it's the original engine, even if it's not :)

bodK : I hope this doesn't turn into another "oil " post, but you might have opened quite a can of worms. Yes, basic matching numbers refers to engine, trans, etc. BUT, wait until you have your first experience with those owners that are more concerned with originality, than actually driving the cars. I experienced such extremes as the bolt heads must have the original forging marks. Or when I was selling take-offs from my RR, they wanted date codes for obscure items like fuel pumps & starters ! Sad, but true. So how far someone wants to go to have a "numbers matching " car can get pretty obsessive.
To me, those owners appear to be interested in the perfect appearing car and spend their time chasing it as a hobby. ( is it ever perfect ? ) You'll also see that they brag about how few miles on the car since restoration. You'll know who they are because the bottom of the car is painted & as clean as the top. Get ready.

Look at the numbers on your block and transmission. They should match your vin number. Really matching numbers is really only important on cars that are rare. Like the Daytona, Superbird, Hemi Cuda, 6 pak cars.

I have to disagree. It's a benefit and worth more for any original high performance car, RR, SB, Cuda, Charger etc.

High guys, Thanks for your replyes. I have found out that the engine, according to the ID-plate, should be a 361, and the casting number on the block match. It is a 361 Big block. However I haven't found the number on the Transmission. I don't think it is coded into the ID-plate.

I can't hang around the "numbers fags". It's also why I like multi-brand shows better than mopar shows. I get tired of hearing about option codes, production numbers, and how about 50% of everybody's cars are "1 of 1" for some silly reason. I left a cruise last Sunday, when 2 "mopar" guys got their swords out, throwing how much they knew at each other.

I always tell people to build their car for themselves, not for a group of magazine-experts. I love cut-up cars.

The magazines are guilty of promoting this "numbers matching " and "one of one " crazy stuff. I've read several recent magazines stating that after recognizing the options, right down to the color of the door lock nobs, it was a very rare car and only one of ***. When did this craziness start ? And I believe that with the popularity of the televised auctions, it's going to get worse. The buyers appear proud to have set a " NEW RECORD !! " for what they paid. Huh ?
Just let me drive the wheels off my " One of a billion " Road Runner.
Disillusioned Tim

I have to disagree. It's a benefit and worth more for any original high performance car, RR, SB, Cuda, Charger etc.

Sorry i just wouldn't care if my rr wasnt a gtx and i made it into one cause i didn'thave my original drive train

Some may be misinterpreting my comments above. There is a place for both. To clarify, I'm saying, for re-sale, a numbers matching car, typically will be worth more. Not to say that one that is non matching is not desirable. My initial response was to the comment, it's only important for HEMI, 6 pk cars etc.

Personally, I have both. A car that is 100% numbers matching. Another that is a Pro Street lightweight clone. I enjoy both just as much as they are very different cars.

I agree with Tempest 455 that there is a place for both. I've tried to accept that there are various types of enthusiasts involved in collecting stuff. Here, we talk MOPAR. Most here are interested in performance, driving & generally working on their cars. Others consider the pursuit of matching/date coded restorations as their hobby and perhaps not as interested in driving. I just watched Chasing Classic Cars and wanted to shoot the TV because it was filled with nothing but owners who never drive the car & talk about them as investments. A 1970 Ferrari Daytona Spider that will never be driven ?? !! A terrible loss of a great driving exotic. Of course, the argument can be that at $2 million it is too valuable to drive. Chicken or the egg ? I'd like to buy one of these pampered numbers matching, never driven MOPAR muscle cars & do MASSIVE burnouts in front of the sellers house, then return to show him what the car looks like after three days on Vermont dirt roads.
To really see what our cars were meant to do, visit a Nostalgia drag race. Best day you'll ever have. But, just try & drive home slowly. NEVER !
Tim

The numbers thing, started in the late-80's. When the Corvette market had peaked, and mopars were on the rise....all the mopar-guys sold their cars[thought they were getting rich] to vette-guys, who were always in it for the $$ and sword-fighting. I sold a bunch of mopars over a 15 year period, to brand-X'ers.... who thought they were gonna make a killing. Years later, all my old mopar buddies wished they'd have kept their cars. Now, they can't afford them. The mopar hobby has never been the same.

I go with both sides, but if memory serves, I gave a 1of7716 68Bee.Thats all they made that year. It has a 440,70 torque life,&69 large tapered pinion diff. Why? Well when the race440 blew & 3 kids I sold what I could and used what I had to get it on the road again. Now my daughter-in-law says I can't sell so 3 generations can get to drive it

Vermont Rock said "I'd like to buy one of these pampered numbers matching, never driven MOPAR muscle cars & do MASSIVE burnouts in front of the sellers house..." LMFAO! X2 man!!

Auto Transport Service
Back