• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max Wedge air gap????

RHW2

Local time
11:23 PM
Reaction score
Hello, I'm building a 64 Belvedere max wedge clone and my question is: I'm using a 73 RB with Indy EZ-1 heads and a 64 Max Wedge intake, when I set the intake in between the heads there's about 1/2" or so gap at either end under the intake. Is this correct and is a valley cover the solution? When I pulled the motor out to do a refresh there were Edelbrock RPM heads on this motor and there wasn't a gap under the intake but now with the EZ-1 heads there's a gap. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

IMG950482.jpg IMG950483.jpg

Hello, I'm building a 64 Belvedere max wedge clone and my question is: I'm using a 73 RB with Indy EZ-1 heads and a 64 Max Wedge intake, when I set the intake in between the heads there's about 1/2" or so gap at either end under the intake. Is this correct and is a valley cover the solution? When I pulled the motor out to do a refresh there were Edelbrock RPM heads on this motor and there wasn't a gap under the intake but now with the EZ-1 heads there's a gap. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

View attachment 427829 View attachment 427830
The ports on the Indy heads are raised from stock position. You can use an Indy valley cover or make spacers for the end of the manifold. I would use the Indy valley cover because it will keep the hot oil off the bottom of the manifold.

The ports on the Indy heads are raised from stock position. You can use an Indy valley cover or make spacers for the end of the manifold. I would use the Indy valley cover because it will keep the hot oil off the bottom of the manifold.

Wow, so if your run Indy EZ heads, your engine will be about 1/2" taller because of this?

Wow, so if your run Indy EZ heads, your engine will be about 1/2" taller because of this?

Same thing with s/r's and dash 1's. That's one of the reasons I had to go low deck to fit the factory air cleaner under my a12 hood.

Like stated above, Indy valley tray is your best bet.

never seen anything like that. some thing is miss matched. what intake are you using?? I hope I am wrong.
I am using indy big ez's with max wedge ports, on my RB512 with their intake not crossram.

never seen anything like that. some thing is miss matched. what intake are you using?? I hope I am wrong.
I am using indy big ez's with max wedge ports, on my RB512 with their intake not crossram.
There's nothing wrong. As I said, the ports raised so the intake sits higher.

When Indy built this head they raised the intake ports. In order to allow a stock dimension intake manifold to fit, the intake face of the head was extended. Causing the intake to set higher. The valley tray fits under a cross ram easily. I would recomended rounding off the bottom of the outer carb pad ears. That will allow valve cover removal. The exhaust ports on the -1 heads are also raised, EZ are in the stock location.
Doug

Thanks to all who replied. Just for clarification the ports on the intake line up perfectly with the ports on the heads so there isn't anything mismatched. I did forget that the ports on the EZ-1 heads were raised. Have never put together a Max Wedge motor so I thought it looked extremely odd. Hoping to have it running on a Dyno by mid June....whoever put the motor together originally really didn't have a clue. RPM heads with a factory cross-ram equals non matching ports but the motor still pulled a respectable 533 hp and 544 tq...looking to get 700hp with the combo I've got going together this time. It's actually a 496cid Eagle 4.15 crank, Eagle rods, Wiesco pistons, full roller valve train....rockers, cam, lifters. I know the cross-ram intake will hurt my numbers. The rest of the car is set up correctly...Dana 60 with 4.10 Detroit locker, CalTrac split mono-leaf springs with bars. Springs have been moved in about an inch so I'm running 12" wide ET streets. Wilwood disc on all 4 corners, dual bowl master. Holley electric fuel pump Thanks again for the help.....Mike

2016-09-27 07.59.36.jpg 20160612_164354 (1).jpg 20160618_123609.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back