• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max wedge intake gaskets

91r/t

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:56 AM
Reaction score
Looking for a picture of a set of max wedge intake gaskets. Does it still use the bathtub style intake like the standard big blocks? Also does it run the standard style bar type 3 bolt hold downs on the end? Buddy has one someone right stuffed down and I need pics of what was originally used on a 426 max wedge style intake non Hemi. Thanks in advance!

Far as I know its exactly the same as all B/RB with the exception of the port size.

Originally no bathtub pan and just gaskets at the heads and no hold downs on the china wall.
In some cases if running aftermarket heads the intake will be raised some and would need spacers on the china wall.
I don't have pics but do have a couple max wedge engines I could get pics of if needed.
So, some specs on the one in question would help.
ruffcut

I was thinking the same but then I see pictures like this in jegs. Was curious if the bottom of the intake sealed like a small block or is it the same as normal B/RB gaskets?

90575B1D-9091-445F-8EEC-A2B86EC3F7EC.png

Originally no bathtub pan and just gaskets at the heads and no hold downs on the china wall.
In some cases if running aftermarket heads the intake will be raised some and would need spacers on the china wall.
I don't have pics but do have a couple max wedge engines I could get pics of if needed.
So, some specs on the one in question would help.
ruffcut
So kinda like the small block does, a good bead of silicone at the ends and corners and then paper on the ports?

Yep
gaskets for the heads and the china wall and the round one is for distributer

Were all max wedge intakes two 4 barrel? I thought the max wedge heads in some applications had a single 4 barrel?

It is possible in todays world to have a single carb on max wedge heads with the manifolds available.
As for original "Max Wedge" they were 2 carbs on a cross ram intake.
The term Max Wedge" is sometimes used incorrectly these days. IMO
ruffcut

100_0239 (1).JPG

There is no bathtub pan gasket for max wedges.

Hughes Engines Inc. has the Max Wedge gasket kits. I used them on my 440/906 ported heads with
their valley pan and a single 4BBL Indy intake. The gaskets come in two different thicknesses. You
choose which ones. They seal really well. I don't think any Max Wedge came out of the factory with-
out a Crossram.
manifold pic5.jpg
manifold pic4 (3).jpg
20220415_120423.jpg
20220415_120434.jpg

Last edited:
Were all max wedge intakes two 4 barrel? I thought the max wedge heads in some applications had a single 4 barrel?
There were (VERY rare, and not very good) Nascar single four manifolds for max heads. Just like the two fours crossram, the had a cast-in valley cover that sealed the valley and China wall. Think 337 manifold, only not near as good.
I have used a single 4bbl TM7 welded up to maxwedge port size. Sealing the valley was a nightmare, with the iron heads. Would have been much easier with aluminum head that don't have the cutouts between ports.
After several failures of homemade valley pans, the final best solution turned out to be..... the stock bathtub seal, cut to ribbons, top of the port removed, and dual home-cut from gasket material side gaskets, set of four, one on each side of the cut up valley pan.
I have a couple pairs of Superformance maxwedge gaskets that I'm gonna use next time. I think I have a couple different thicknesses.

20230827_184051.jpg

20230514_073703.jpg

20230106_164029.jpg

The port pic is of the tm7, upside down . The thin area is the bottom of the port, the thick area at the top (bottom of pic) is the added-on welded chunk.

Last edited:
There were (VERY rare, and not very good) Nascar single four manifolds for max heads. Just like the two fours crossram, the had a cast-in valley cover that sealed the valley and China wall. Think 337 manifold, only not near as good.
I have used a single 4bbl TM7 welded up to maxwedge port size. Sealing the valley was a nightmare, with the iron heads. Would have been much easier with aluminum head that don't have the cutouts between ports.
After several failures of homemade valley pans, the final best solution turned out to be..... the stock bathtub seal, cut to ribbons, top of the port removed, and dual home-cut from gasket material side gaskets, set of four, one on each side of the cut up valley pan.
I have a couple pairs of Superformance maxwedge gaskets that I'm gonna use next time. I think I have a couple different thicknesses.

View attachment 1528776

View attachment 1528777

View attachment 1528778
20230912_173623.jpg

Just had to make some .030s,, superperformance next time if it comes down to that

Auto Transport Service
Back