• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

max wedge intake gaskets?

bob myers

Local time
11:49 PM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am at the finishing point in my max wedge 'wanna be" 440 engine and I have a question about intake sealing. I have an A+A cross ram intake for 440 heads and stock port 440 heads. I need a recommendation as to what intake gaskets to use and any related tips.
For example should I use the tin turkey pan or just intake gaskets and silicone on the two ends? Any help really needed here. Thanx.

X2..........I also pin prick punch the end rail surfaces of the valley every 1/2" or so to give the silicone a better bite. Works for me.

let the silicone set up enough before you lay the manifold into the silicone. When you need just a little pressure to make the silicone spread your ready. I can not remember ever having perfect luck with silicone. Make sure the surface is completely free of any oil before you lay the silicone..

Guys,
Thanx for the advise. I got a set of fel pro intake gaskets but there are 4 gaskets in the box. I am guessing the toriginal turkey pan is sandwiched between the two fel pro gaskets.
Im not using the turkey pan so should I use one gasket per side, or double up and use two per side?

Still looking for a good answer.....A+A max wedge intake manifold going on stock size 440 heads. Gasket set came with 4 paper gaskets and a turkey pan. I get the advise about leave out the turkey pan, but don`t know weather to use 2 paper gaskets sandwched together, or just one paper gasket per side??? This is the last piece to complete my engine. Thanx

I just did the same thing on my car and only used one set of the gaskets.

I use SCE brand gaskets on mine. Thicker than regular paper gaskets. It also can make a difference if the block and/or heads have been surfaced. If you use paper ones, try 1 set and look at the bolt hole alignment. If the manifold and head bolt holes line up perfectly, you are good to go. If not, try 2 sets and see what the alignment looks like. I like the SCE brand because they are more 'substantial' than the paper ones. In either case, use some gascacinch or KW copper coat on the head surface to hold the side gaskets in place. As I said, I use a sharp punch to put tiny divots every 1/2" or so along the back and front of the block rail and lay a nice 3/16" bead of RTV silicone on the rails. I don't wait for the sealer to skin. Just be very careful when you drop the manifold in place to get it exactly aligned. After the bolts are in place and torqued,wet your finger and smooth off any excess silicone. Perfect seal every time. Good luck. Like to see some pictures along the way.

I would ditch the valley tray and install a valley plate. This way you can paint it to match the motor and use only one set of intake gaskets. The plate looks better than the tray anyway. Also if for some reason you have to remove the intake you only have to replace one set of gaskets not two.

Colorado Dave, That is what I call a great answer, thanx a ton. I will take your advise and proceed. Pics to follow. Bob Myers.

I use SCE brand gaskets on mine. Thicker than regular paper gaskets. It also can make a difference if the block and/or heads have been surfaced. If you use paper ones, try 1 set and look at the bolt hole alignment. If the manifold and head bolt holes line up perfectly, you are good to go. If not, try 2 sets and see what the alignment looks like. I like the SCE brand because they are more 'substantial' than the paper ones. In either case, use some gascacinch or KW copper coat on the head surface to hold the side gaskets in place. As I said, I use a sharp punch to put tiny divots every 1/2" or so along the back and front of the block rail and lay a nice 3/16" bead of RTV silicone on the rails. I don't wait for the sealer to skin. Just be very careful when you drop the manifold in place to get it exactly aligned. After the bolts are in place and torqued,wet your finger and smooth off any excess silicone. Perfect seal every time. Good luck. Like to see some pictures along the way.

Back when I ran a Max Wedge I used a pretty thick intake gasket with no turkey pan. I think Mr. Gasket used to make them but this was back in the 80's so who knows now. I do recall they were about 1/32 - 1/16" thick.

OK, got the intake on and took your good advise. I did a test fit and using a single paper type gasket lined up really well, so I used copper coat on both sides of the intake gasket and ultra black silicone on the ends. I used a small block and tackle to lower the intake carefully andused one intake manifold extra long stud to guide the manifold into place. It fell in place no sweat. Thanx a ton for the help.

Attachments

• dodge max wedge new.jpg
    dodge max wedge new.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 151
  • dodge max wedge new 1.jpg
    dodge max wedge new 1.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 128
Auto Transport Service
Back