• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

McLeod dual disc clutch

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:59 AM
Reaction score
Anyone using a McLeod dual disc clutch? I installed one and McLeod states the operating range for the diaphragm pressure plate is .440 to .460 for proper plate departure. I’m using the factory linkage and torque shaft and clutch fork and have around .750 of throwout bearing travel after contact with the pressure plate fingers.
I do have around 1 to 1.5 inches of free play in the pedal before bearing contact to pressure plate fingers. Would that be over centering the pressure plate fingers? I am using a Lakewood scatter shield so it’s tough to see or measure the travel.
I did the math to determine what the travel of the short side vs the long side of the clutch fork
would be to come up with the .750 amount of throwout bearing travel.

None of that means anything and no matter how you set it up, you’ll over travel it without a mechanical stop. McLeod gives you a disc free play spec that you can measure with a feeler gauge. Put in a pedal stop where you want it and adjust until you have that free play at the stop. Mine was adjustable and mounted on the pedal arm. Then you can try to stomp it into next week on each shift without worrying about damaging the pressure plate. I also ditched the over center spring. Worked for me.

Last edited:
If the pedal is returning and the clutch is releasing along with the right feel of engagement off the floor I would leave it set there.

I am using one in my car (and have in others for many years) but also have hydraulic actuation.

Not understanding 1-1.5" of free play?

I would think that I would adjust the clutch pedal even to the brake pedal and try it out?

If I started there and felt it was over travelling I would reduce the ratio.

I have one, but don't remember getting excited about those measurements. Maybe I should have though? I just set it up like any other diaphragm clutch. Removed the over center spring, made sure the throw out bearing had clearance to the fingers, and have an inch of freeplay on the pedal.

thanks for the info guys guess i’ll leave it as is for now and see how it feels when I get it ready to drive. Also I did remove the over center spring.

Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t believe you have to worry about over-centering a bent finger diaphragm clutch. That was a problem with the old straight finger clutches that would over center and stick to the floor at high rpm. The bent finger clutch came along to solve that. But a pedal stop is certainly not a bad idea.

I have the McLeod RXT dual disc, but I also added a Hydramax hydraulic TO bearing setup at the same time, and after being told several times by several sources that hydraulic TO bearings are not supposed to have any gap between the TO bearing and PP diaphragm spring tips, I stopped trying to figure that out. I had an issue with the car creeping forward with the pedal all the way down, but that resolved itself.

Auto Transport Service
Back