• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measuring For Pushrod Length

Mike67

Local time
9:03 PM
Reaction score
So I'm almost to the point of putting my motor together (heads really)... I have a Hughes hydraulic roller and have a couple of questions as I'm unfamiliar with setting one up.
I need to order a cam button, which is recommended for street use? Also what is the best method for measuring for PRs? I already have checker springs, an adjustable PR, dial indicator/ mag base and adjustable rockers; do I need a solid roller lifter to to get an accurate measurement?
Thanks

go to the hughes site...... they have step by step somewhere there......I bought a bunch of hughes stuff and went thru it a couple years ago

Thanks Mark! Sounds pretty straight forward for the most part...it didn't however answer substitution a solid for the hydraulic..does it matter with the checking springs or is the load light enough to keep the lifter from compressing???

Thanks Mark! Sounds pretty straight forward for the most part...it didn't however answer substitution a solid for the hydraulic..does it matter with the checking springs or is the load light enough to keep the lifter from compressing???

I think I remember them sending me a special adjustable lifter for a deposit (unless I was dreaming?) maybe it was an adjustable pushrod? I can't really remember. they sent me something.... then I sent it back......... call them, they are very helpful

Last edited:
Thanks again! Never went into that section...lot of good info for sure!
Was reading 6D and this was at the end of the bulletin...those guys have a sense of humor!!!
"For those of you who are super ****, you can stack the tolerances of the rocker width, spacers and holes to get your set-up perfect. Remember, this is Hot rodding and some modifications may be required (not a plug-and-play business) "

If you already have the light springs installed(these come with most timing wheel sets) you do not need an adjustable lifter. the springs are light enough as to not compress the hydraulic lifters. That's my .02, but you can certainly call Hughes and ask them. While you have it setup, don't forget to check piston to valve clearances!

If you already have the light springs installed(these come with most timing wheel sets) you do not need an adjustable lifter. the springs are light enough as to not compress the hydraulic lifters. That's my .02, but you can certainly call Hughes and ask them. While you have it setup, don't forget to check piston to valve clearances!
Thats kinda what I was thinking but wanted to hear from others.
I have Comps degree wheel kit, PV clearance is a concern right now anyways and am going to check, I didn't build the short block & haven't measured it; it has the KB quench dome pistons, my heads are the 88 CC RPMs....

Last edited:
You should have your intended springs on the heads, not checking springs. You also need to have the lifters that you'll be running. The solid lifter and checking springs, that's what you would use for degreeing a cam, but for measuring pushrods everything needs to be installed as you're going to run it. Push rod measurement should be the last thing you do. .. sorry if this is kind of long-winded... Put an adjustable rod in, at it's short setting. Roll the cam until the lifter is on the base circle (the backside of the lobe). Bring the rocker adjuster to where your desired number of threads are showing, closer to zero is better with today's ball-end adjusters. Now unscrew(make longer)the pushrod until you have zero preload on the lifter, and are just seated in the rocker. It's a feel thing, but with a light and good eyes you will see if you begin to compress the lifter cup at all. Some guys lengthen the pushrod while gently they spin it; it will tighten up when your getting the slack taken out. When you're confident you're at zero, with the pushrod end fully seated in the rocker, take the pushrod out, being careful not to change its adjustment, and measure its length with your 12" caliper or dial indicator. Then simply take that number, and add your desired lifter preload to it, and that is your measurement. It's a little bit of work and take some time but it really is best to do each valve, and you can then compare them. If there are slight differences, no big deal you can afford a little one way or the other in your preload or by adjusting the rocker a small amount. If there are any big differences between them, you would order different length pushrods to suit.
Sorry, I don't have a rec on a cam button though...

Last edited:
Curious as to whether your push rods rub the push rod pass-through with the shorter push rods.

Curious as to whether your push rods rub the push rod pass-through with the shorter push rods.
Don't know yet, haven't put it together. I have heard that with larger 3/8 PRs there might need to be some clearancing. I

Don't know yet, haven't put it together. I have heard that with larger 3/8 PRs there might need to be some clearancing. I
Which heads? The 3/8" that I tested were too close for comfort with my .526" lift cam and Edelbrock heads. Talk to the Smith Bros, I currently have their heat treated 5/16" pushrods, and they can make you thicker ones that handle in excess of 700 lbs of spring pressure, while keeping the stock diameter.

I had to clearance mine a bit, was kinda not what I wanted to do but it wasn't all of them and it hasn't been a problem. I could have ordered the skinnier ones but I just took a bit of iron off on a handful of them to get them to clear.

Which heads? The 3/8" that I tested were too close for comfort with my .526" lift cam and Edelbrock heads. Talk to the Smith Bros, I currently have their heat treated 5/16" pushrods, and they can make you thicker ones that handle in excess of 700 lbs of spring pressure, while keeping the stock diameter.
They are the Eddy RPMS.

IDK what rockers but if roller tips get your B3 Kit FIRST also helps on pushrod clearance problem
B3 Racing engines read all 4 tech reports

IDK what rockers but if roller tips get your B3 Kit FIRST also helps on pushrod clearance problem
B3 Racing engines read all 4 tech reports
Thanks, I have Comps ProMags for the record. Went to the site and read some of the tech articles but saw nothing about a "kit". What is it?

On the kit, he makes them custom for your valvetrain so you have to email or better yet call and talk to him (he's a Mike too!). He sends you a form with some questions, has you take a few measurements, then makes a kit for ya. Took I think about a week for him to get mine out, and for just under $200 shipped, it's a relative drop in the bucket when building a performance engine.

Auto Transport Service
Back