• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Measuring Valve Cover Rail

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:38 PM
Reaction score
So I'm slowly building an engine for my Coronet... As most of us have fought valve cover leaks this time I'm hoping to reduce the chances of a leak... Lotta guys have talked about the rails not being flat.... I currently have a head in my mill, leveled ( almost, might shim it slightly still) & squared... Tomorrow I might mill the rail but today I measured it.... Thought some of y'all might like to see the results...

First reading. -.012
Second reading .004
Third reading .025
Forth reading .026
Fifth reading -.005

So on the exhaust side of the head which is where they always leak about .040 variation... To be honest I expected more variation.... But I have the technology to make it better so I will...

IMG_5837.jpg
IMG_5838.jpg
IMG_5839.jpg
IMG_5840.jpg
IMG_5841.jpg

Even at .040 that is a lot. Sheet metal covers with no reinforcement or backer plates made them leak a lot. No doubt leveling the playing field will make a difference.

Ive seen several MP 518 MW replacement heads where the V/C rail varied by over .125”.
Not gradually from one end to the other either.......... several low and high areas along the length going from one end to another.
Horrible.

What I've done for 50 years: Apply Indian Head on both sides of the gasket, install gasket after about 30 seconds. Tighten bolts with an extension on a qtr inch socket using only your hands for a firm fit. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN. After a while, tighten to torque spec, the uppers before the lowers. It's more important to have a flat, level rocker-arm cover. I never had a leak for myself or any customer back in the day.

How about an O-ring setup? That would be pretty trick.

Well I milled the first head (cut like butter) & set up the second head... Second head had over .125 variation... Started milling & discovered a couple really hard spots in the casting... Burned up a USA made Do-All HSS end mill.... tried a second USA made Viking carbide end mill & even going slow, using air to cool & taking little bites burned that end mill too.... Decided if I'm just gonna burn up tools I have a Chinese end mill a buddy gave me, he was saying how good they work... Figured I'll burn that up.... Nope... It cut right through the hard stuff.... WTH... A China tool that actually works??? I've heard it happens, never seen it happen before but I have now.... We're screwed...

Send cutters back to mfg with note about high quality chinese cutter finished the job.

Auto Transport Service
Back