• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valve cover gaskets - reusable

SlinktRR

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
I have a 499 with tf240 heads and a comp solid cam, using stock 1970 valve covers. With the solid I lash valves at least once a year, sometimes more if it gets more noisy than usual so would like a cover gasket that can be reused.

The moroso ones I had just disintegrated after my last valve adjustment so in a pinch I got parts store felpro cork. They actually work pretty well with the stock covers and trick flow, just needed some permatex in the corners around the two outer bolt holes and 25inch/lb torque on the bolts. But not sure how well they will hold up on/off so would appreciate any suggestions, can be expensive as long as they last.

Yes I reuse them. Seems the fel pro cork is better more durable than the big name performance gaskets.
I don’t use any sealer, and I don’t have any leaks.

give it a try and see what happens.

Last edited:
I've used Fel-Pro cork on everything for decades; I just glue them to the cover and use a smear of axle/bearing grease on the head side as basically a release agent. Same deal on carb base gaskets & etc.

I like the metal reinforced Fel Pros on my Hemi. If I can just come up with a way to get the left one to seal at the lower, back corner where the flange has a couple coping cuts. I glue them to the VC and put a little Permatex #2 for several inches on the head side back there - but still seeping.

I like the heavy duty black felpros, which mopar used to also sell as their own.
Ultra black them to the valve cover, silicone grease to the head.
The key of course is that the cover is semi flat
May need a tad longer bolts

I've used Fel Pros cork units for a long time now, SB and BB. They always seem to reseal fine and I can't remember ever having one leak after doing the lash. Bought a "fancy" rubber set from 440 Source a few years back just to try. Just poor all the way round.

The racecr gets lashed every 20 -25 passes. Gaskets get swapped about every 2 1/2 years.
Doug

Thanks everybody. I was thinking that aluminum heads would have an issue with cork and there might be something better but they are sealing fine so far, no smoky headers. I really didn't enjoy scraping the mangled rubber gaskets off the valve covers so I'll keep using the fel pro.

I've used Fel-Pro cork on everything for decades; I just glue them to the cover and use a smear of axle/bearing grease on the head side as basically a release agent. Same deal on carb base gaskets & etc.
Agree. Cork glued to the cover. At some point they will crush beyond limits but mine have held up for several years.

Auto Transport Service
Back