• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical fuel pump bypass

Charger Ted

Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
While waiting for parts for my A/C I began working on my vapor lock problem. More than a year ago I installed an electronic fuel pump near the tank. It has helped but I still have some problems. I am going to install an electric fan on the radiator and a return line to the gas tank. I would like to eliminate the mechanical fuel pump. Can I just loop the output around to the input and leave the pump on the engine, if even for a short time. Will there be any problems with doing this or will it wreck the mechanical fuel pump? The car is 66 Charger with 318.
TIA
Ted

You can do that but I think the pump will still be trying to suck in air now (and dirt).
I'd suggest putting in a block off plate and put the pump in a bag.

I wonder if you really have a vapor lock problem? Electric pump should push fuel right through mechanical pump I would think. I've only dealt with BB Carter pumps and the internal check valves I think would allow fuel through pump. I've never took apart a SB pump so...
I'd put a fuel pressure gauge near carb to see what's happening under the conditions when "vapor lock" occurs. If fuel pressure is low you do have VL. If not it's something else.

Thanks Don and Fran. Guess the plan will be:
1. Blanking plate
2. Re-route gas line away from engine and only use electronic fuel pump.
3. Install electric fan on radiator.
That should at least tell me if it is vapor lock tho I am certain it is.
Will keep you posted. Thanks again.
Ted

A couple other ideas:
Original starter?
Putting on a newer one from a Dakota or a Ram will flip it over more quickly and also not drop the battery voltage as much.
Just to be sure do a spark test when cranking hot as well.

I make my own block off plates, no rocket science there. You don't have to remove the rod but I always do.

You might think about a bypass fuel regulator with a return line, it will allow any excess fuel return and keep your fuel pressure steady.

I don't think the old A 318 had a pushrod just a long arm on the pump.

Auto Transport Service
Back