• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Media Blasting Recommendations

Every external body panel was sanded clean. Mostly with a DA. Yes I've used glass beads extensively, but only on "hard parts" like hinges, brackets, nuts and bolts. Yes leaves a slight "texture". On a side note... high build primer does wonders.

brackets.JPG spring streacher.JPG

Every external body panel was sanded clean. Mostly with a DA. Yes I've used glass beads extensively, but only on "hard parts" like hinges, brackets, nuts and bolts. Yes leaves a slight "texture". On a side note... high build primer does wonders.

View attachment 1216835 View attachment 1216836
I like your spring spreaders. They match well with my spreader tool.
Mike
IMG_2491.JPG

Glass on the aluminum steering box and nothing but a tarnish preventor clear coat.
beerestoration2015-2016 1926.JPG

Again, glass blast, but a coat of my mixed Semi Gloss Tremclad. Springs are glass blasted and T9'd.
1969dartcleanupweek14 278.JPG

There are 2 types of glass, crushed glass and glass bead. Crushed glass is from recycled bottles, it's cheaper, but it's only meant to be used once. Glass bead can be re-used and is good for cabinet use (I use it in my cabinet), but is more expensive. I used white silica sand in the past, it was a great all purpose media. It took off rust well enough, but not too aggressive, and gave the part a nice satin sheen. I would try and stick with media that doesn't have silica in it unless you have a good ventilation set-up. That leaves out all types of sand. The cheapest option would probably be crushed glass at about $10 bag.

Here's a link explaining the dangers of blasting and crystalline silica dust:

https://www.raptorblaster.com/sandblasting-and-silicosis/

Last edited:
I would try and stick with media that doesn't have silica in it unless you have a good ventilation set-up. That leaves out all types of sand.

This would falsely lead one to believe ventilation isn't important with other media.

The simple fact is anything but air going into your lungs is a hazard and when blasting with any media a well sealing mask is an absolute necessity. Keep in mind its not just the media that's a hazard but the crap you're blasting off as well. Unless you're using a blast cabinet obviously.

Stayed away from glass beads. It scares me. Soda blasting gets into cracks and can cause rust latter. Hard to get out. Bought a harbor freight sand blaster and used a low grit sand. If too large it plugs up the system. Did a lot with wire wheels and small sanding disc from harbor freight. 2-inch disc on a right angle die grander. HF sells different grit ones. An argues task for sure. Frame rails use a bottle wire brush on a piece of fish tape and welded chain on the tape to run in and out of frame rails and the rockers. Once cleaned out got a bed liner gun from East wood. With two different wand's that would get into those areas. Applied rust converter then put a good coat of epoxy primer in those areas. Then shot bed liner in everything. Just what I did and don't think I will regret what I did. Jut my two cents. Good luck on the work.

Auto Transport Service
Back