• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Member who posted on process of restoring/cleaning the yellowing off Overflow bottle?

Wish I thought of peroxide when I was working. We had industrial strength peroxide 80% pure. Put a rag in it a throw rag on the concrete floor it the rag would burn. If you left a strip of .0078 bronze laying the tank we ran it through it would put holes in the metal. You had to dump the tank.

There are a lot of readily available acids to experiment with. I keep them all in my shop and different uses pop up from time to time. Concrete Cleaner, RustOff, TarnX, Lime Cleaner and I know I have forgotten some. TarnX works wonders on electrical terminals.

I got a very stained 73 overflow reservoir and was happy to find it since they are not reproduced. I saw that original video, so I tried the H3NSO3 twice and it did nothing. I let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket for a week in the summer sun. But I will admit I did not know what activator to use. Then I soaked again with a little bleach submersed in water and that helped a little. I've seen other videos with peroxide and rice but got distracted by other things. So, I put it back on the shelf for another day. Perhaps I'll try the retro-brite.

I got a very stained 73 overflow reservoir and was happy to find it since they are not reproduced. I saw that original video, so I tried the H3NSO3 twice and it did nothing. I let it soak in a 5 gallon bucket for a week in the summer sun. But I will admit I did not know what activator to use. Then I soaked again with a little bleach submersed in water and that helped a little. I've seen other videos with peroxide and rice but got distracted by other things. So, I put it back on the shelf for another day. Perhaps I'll try the retro-brite.
I am in the process of doing it now and I used distilled warm water and it has been soaking for about 3 hours.. I will let others know my results $13 for the acid and the water so not a lot invested..

I seem to remember watching a video on the subject a while back where the guy tried vinegar and baking soda, then some sort of acid and other liquid. After a couple weeks of messing around with it he tossed it in the recycle bin and bought a new one. I bought a new one first. Lucky for me someone tooled up and started remaking the one I needed.

I seem to remember watching a video on the subject a while back where the guy tried vinegar and baking soda, then some sort of acid and other liquid. After a couple weeks of messing around with it he tossed it in the recycle bin and bought a new one. I bought a new one first. Lucky for me someone tooled up and started remaking the one I needed.
I think the word remaking triggered me. :) I thought I'd done a fair amount of due diligence before I got my 73 RR that was missing everything! With my 70, you just hop on eBay or a bunch of awesome vendors, not to mention other members here, and get mostly whatever you need. Overflow bottles, quarter panels, wheel opening trim, no big deal. If 73-74s start getting more parts reproduced, I wonder if they'll skyrocket as well in value. Glad I found my overflow bottle when I did, and QuickBpBP has helped me fill in the part gaps as well. Here's to hoping that someone starts making parts for the 73-74s as well. Who knew I'd spend three weekends polishing a bottle that I would have passed on in a junkyard 40 years ago! :) Complaint done and looking forward to the results. :)

Last edited:
Just used the concrete cleaner on the aluminum floors of my Silver Sides bus cargo areas. It took all the rust off from the wet steel parts that had been stored there over the last 35 years.

Ok so here is the result 24hrs later.. IMO not worth the time or money. The $1 spent on rice to shake clean the inside with soap and rice did more than the 24 hr soak.. I only see that it lightened it and blended the discoloration NOTHING like the video. Before and after pics..

DD561964-A9E3-4D60-8120-0B63DC6879D6.jpeg

8EEE05F3-C95E-496A-AEDD-0BCC9712E89E.jpeg

Guy that did the video is still giggling about where he edited out the swap for a new bottle...

I would think the first thing is to figure out what the yellowing is? Is it scum or discoloration? then find a concoction that counteracts that.

QuickBpBp results are the same as mine after using the H3NSO3 as in the video. I then put it in a 5 gallon bucket with water and a little bleach made mine a little less dingy after a few days. Looking forward to seeing what someone else tries. :) I guess the good thing is that if I do more of a restoration and put the carbon canister in front of the bottle, it's not that noticeable anyway.

The key to the process is the UV light (Sun or lamp). Many videos talk about this.

The key to the process is the UV light (Sun or lamp). Many videos talk about this.
It was in sunlight for at least 12 hours I put it outside then my garage at night just so animals would not knock it over or drink it….

Auto Transport Service
Back