• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal vs Wood Garage ? What would u do?

That bubble insulation lasts about 10-15 years. I have that in my.shop. The tape used degrades, however, and you'll start to see bits come off the wall after a time. I intend to have foam used on the sidewalls this Fall, to replace that bubble stuff.
Agreed, I've yet to see a metal building where the metal is screwed over the insulation still look good after 10-15 years. The one at work looks like bloody hell, sagging, tape falling off, stained..

Knowing what u know now what would u do and why? I’ve was looking to sell my house and by a house with acres in California to build my garage. After 2years of looking and fires here in Solano county I would cost me a premium for insurance and I would need put a large down and or sell my house or rent it out and I’m close to paying off, and I was not loving the idea.

So I bought a house with 2.5 acres in Nevada 2 1/2 hours away its close. Now I can keep both houses and have a second home and build what I want.

The garage I want it to be 35’ to 40’ depth 4 car garage multiple doors not sure on length work shop area I have a mid car lift I want a full hight lift maybe 4 post lift. I’m amateur welder I want to paint couple cars. Basically have fun with it all.

I have a 69 charger I’m redoing everything , now I’m ready to paint it , 68 charger, 69 valiant, 68 valiant, 69 barracuda and looking still for more projects
There’s a 30’x60’ metal garage on it at some point make it a spray booth?

So metal vs wood garage metal is cheaper u have condensation, and heating it? more bang for your buck but it gets cold in Nevada
Wood easy to insulate more flexibility in design COST is way higher .

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated .thank u in advance Jesse
Metal garages are generally cheaper to build than wooden garages, but they can be prone to condensation, which can lead to rust and corrosion. To help prevent this, you should take steps to insulate your metal garage and keep it well-ventilated. Additionally, you can install a heating system to keep your metal garage warm and prevent condensation. A combination of insulation and heating can help reduce condensation and keep your metal garage in good condition.

I know you want to build a garage, but you can get some ideas for the foundation from this post:
How To Build A Carport In 6 Simple Steps | Backyard Bases

Knowing what u know now what would u do and why? I’ve was looking to sell my house and by a house with acres in California to build my garage. After 2years of looking and fires here in Solano county I would cost me a premium for insurance and I would need put a large down and or sell my house or rent it out and I’m close to paying off, and I was not loving the idea.

So I bought a house with 2.5 acres in Nevada 2 1/2 hours away its close. Now I can keep both houses and have a second home and build what I want.

The garage I want it to be 35’ to 40’ depth 4 car garage multiple doors not sure on length work shop area I have a mid car lift I want a full hight lift maybe 4 post lift. I’m amateur welder I want to paint couple cars. Basically have fun with it all.

I have a 69 charger I’m redoing everything , now I’m ready to paint it , 68 charger, 69 valiant, 68 valiant, 69 barracuda and looking still for more projects
There’s a 30’x60’ metal garage on it at some point make it a spray booth?

So metal vs wood garage metal is cheaper u have condensation, and heating it? more bang for your buck but it gets cold in Nevada
Wood easy to insulate more flexibility in design COST is way higher .

Thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated .thank u in advance Jesse
I have built several shop for my own use. I always went with metal, it just lasts longer. The issue with insulating is how you do the support for the walls. My shops were framed with wood, metal on the outside, I did a concrete wall 3 foot tall around the inside and drywall on the walls above that, mainly so I could hang pictures. Metal on the ceiling. They make a thinner metal for inside use, lighter and cheaper. I like skylights in the roof makes the shop much brighter.

Jesse,

When I built my 30x40 in the desert, I did it myself and it was stick-built, all wood, matched the house. I lived in an area where you couldn’t start a wildfire if you wanted to. Now I live in the Pacific Northwest where the trees are big and there’s lots of them. I’m planning to build a post frame (aka pole-barn) with metal roof and siding to provide some fire resistance. Also I quickly learned that my shop was too small, so go with as big as you can reasonably afford. Good luck!

Thanks I built a pole barn so far so good, learned a lot. There things
255592AB-00EB-46A6-85CE-6578346229F3.jpeg
I would do differently only a couple though. Still trying to complete the interior but coming out pretty good. Here is my link. And picture. New shop build out coming to life

That is NOT a "pole barn".

That thing have it's own weather system inside like the blimp hanger in Akron?

Auto Transport Service
Back