• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal vs Wood Garage ? What would u do?

wood prices are off the charts right now, I bet metal prices are similar or better than wood right now. I would compare numbers and lean towards metal

Steel stud's can be affixed to the pearling's to make a finished wall of your choice of sheeting. Was around many steel building's and they did this to make office wall's. So good luck and don't think you cant go wrong on a steel building.

Yeah, pearling's is the right term. Gerts are the roof if I'm not mistaken. The showroom had several examples of finished interiors and books with lots of photos. It's a great way to build a house. I'd make it so that I could look out from a living area and see my cars. :)

Yeah, pearling's is the right term.

From the web:
What is the difference between purlins and girts?
Girts and purlins are components of the secondary frame of a metal building . A girt is a horizontal structural member in a framed wall that provides lateral support to the wall panel to resist wind loads. Purlins perform the same service for the roof panels.

upload_2021-1-7_8-21-34.png

When we designed metal buildings we put approximately 3 foot of masonry around the base of the building to avoid damage to metal panels of the building. We had curbs inside the building to avoid damage to the walls from vehicles. They still managed to hit the outside of the buildings. Protection of the exterior of the building is an important consideration with a metal building.

My workshop is an old concrete block building. The previous owner had insulated with exposed Styrofoam panels that I tore out due to their flammability and poor condition. Any type of building construction comes down to considering how the building is to be used and how the interior is to be finished. Life safety is always a consideration in any project. Either type of building can be built to last the same amount of time and withstand the same hazards. It comes down to how the materials are used and put together.
Also your local environmental conditions help dictate the type on construction. Here it needs to withstand quakes, fires and wind. Some areas tornado's and hurricanes. Others severe heat/cold.

Also your local environmental conditions help dictate the type on construction. Here it needs to withstand quakes, fires and wind. Some areas tornado's and hurricanes. Others severe heat/cold.
That's a very important point. Here in the Ohio valley the main concern is sealing them up tight and packing them full of insulation with the freezing cold winters and hot, humid summers.

The basic hazard with most buildings if it is designed to local codes whether wood or metal is created by the occupants. I worked for a facilities group for a large city as an Architect. We would walk into buildings, including fire stations (fire stations were the worst for this), and find a propane grille, a lawn mower and a gas can stored next to a large boiler. We would find wiring run by the occupants that had open air connections with too small wiring. Thinners and solvents stored in the open near spark producing equipment. Exits blocked by furniture and garbage. We had one building where someone placed storage cabinets on the landings of the fire stairs.

Any building will burn. Wood structures and metal buildings are the same building type in the International Building Code, Type V. This is the lowest and most permissive class of construction.

The contents of the building are where the fire usually starts and than spreads to the structure. I realize some of us deal with wild fires which are an external source of ignition. But there are somethings that can be done by the occupant to mitigate some of the risk: clearing brush from around the buildings, not storing materials outside against the building, and many other things that people who live with the hazard know that I do not.

I'm not sure of your state or county codes but my barn/shop was built 30 years ago with a pole barn construction. My building size is 48'x88' with 16' walls. I made 1/2 of the building my shop with concrete and I used steel on the ceiling and wood on the walls. The other half is for dry storage. Everything is in the shop is well insulated and easy to heat. I did all the interior work myself to save some money. I thought when I built it that it's over kill on size but it worked out well since I bought a motorhome.

I moved from Oregon to Florida 8 years ago... I went from seeing 99% wood used in construction to 99% concrete block construction.... Quite a change from what I was used to and concrete block can be really ugly in its raw state. Between bugs and hurricanes, concrete block seems to be the smart move here.

I have plans to put up a small shop and I need some storage space too.. I have built 3 homes so I am somewhat capable, so I am going to try the concrete block myself... LOTS of video on youtube and the block is CHEAP compared to wood or metal...

I'd advise to get wider doors than the minimum (8'?).

I sprung for 9' and am very glad I did.

MUCH easier to pull in and out if not perfectly straight.

MUCH easier to carry, push, or drive something in if cars are in both sides.

Last edited:
I moved from Oregon to Florida 8 years ago... I went from seeing 99% wood used in construction to 99% concrete block construction.... Quite a change from what I was used to and concrete block can be really ugly in its raw state. Between bugs and hurricanes, concrete block seems to be the smart move here.

I have plans to put up a small shop and I need some storage space too.. I have built 3 homes so I am somewhat capable, so I am going to try the concrete block myself... LOTS of video on youtube and the block is CHEAP compared to wood or metal...
Depending on how strong you want it there's different options on block too. My garage is built into a bank so I needed at least 5' of block but with the springs, freezing etc I chose 8" rebar block. It's pretty slick, each block has a W shape countersunk in the webs for horizontal rebar then instead of 2 holes there's one large hole and 2 large open ends. Once the wall is done you have clear unobstructed holes all the way to the footer to drop in vertical rebar then pour full.

Overkill for most but if you have water and freezing conditions it's added insurance.

Mine is angle-iron frame with metal exterior. It has the very basic cell insulation, but the roof insulation is reinforced with chicken wire...yeah, laugh, but it looks and performs great! It also has a 12x24 carport/patio out front. This comes from using the slab from my destroyed home/shop combo by a tornado in 2003. Saved nearly $20K then just because of that! Probably double or triple that, now. I also have a brick wainscoting around the front, using bricks from my home build. Looks and functions fantastic! Three roll-up doors (with one having a door opener); plus two walk-in doors. Also, a 30A RV circuit inside, plus three 220-240V outlets inside. Of course, a 3/4-bath is great to have!

My next project, far as the shop goes, is to increase my lighting by a minimum of eight fixtures! I have four eight-foot flourescents in the shop, and a two-foot LED light over my toolboxes. I want four on two of the walls (none there now), another four overhead (four present now), and two more for my bench and parts storage areas (one present now). Total of 14 fixtures. And replacing the overhead fluorescents with eight-foot, four-lamp LEDs. I love light in the shop, and I've always regretted not putting in more lights at the start.

My 36 x 42 plus a 10 x 12 office is all wood. It is well insulated and dry walled inside. Easy to heat and stays cool. I would rebuild the same tomorrow if I had to.

Well so far I’ve gotten a quote to build a 50x100 metal garage was around 300,000 and still waiting for a quote for a wood garage in month or so they say metal prices keep rising. But a verbal quoted for wood seemed to be little lower, way more then i wanted to spend or really can spend. So may have to make garage smaller I don’t have the time to build myself. So we will wait and see what they say for the wood garage.

Well so far I’ve gotten a quote to build a 50x100 metal garage was around 300,000 and still waiting for a quote for a wood garage in month or so they say metal prices keep rising. But a verbal quoted for wood seemed to be little lower, way more then i wanted to spend or really can spend. So may have to make garage smaller I don’t have the time to build myself. So we will wait and see what they say for the wood garage.
You could start with a smaller garage. Design it with the intention of adding on.

Ya that’s what my father was saying so when the builder comes out well see, one thing is there’s so much Constrution going on now your on a waiting list so money talks I’m just hoping he said his sister lives on same street i just bought on maybe things and money work out . All i need is the framing up i can do electrical and insulation and other interior things myself overtime.

Metal insulated for me,wood eventually rots at the bottom

Auto Transport Service
Back