• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metallic Noise

Anyone have an idea of how to post a video on here? Or do I have to upload it to youtube then post the link here? I took some videos yesterday that might help show what I'm referring too.

Upload to youtube is the easiest. Then share, copy and paste the link.

Sorry, I wasn't as clear as I should've been. I had a .06" gap between the flywheel and clutch when fully depressing the clutch pedal.

Ok,... that makes a lot more sense. I would look at the pressure plate too. Maybe you have a broken spring in there or something, that may be rattling, and you are putting extra pressure on it when you step on the pedal. Unfortunately, that probably means pulling the whole thing out, but may have to do that to find the issue.

I have never posted a video here, but I believe you are right, that you need to post it to Youtube and then post the link here.

Above are links to three videos that I took.
The first video (tries) to show how the noise goes away when I step on the clutch
The second video is verifying that the throwout bearing isn't moving, thus eliminating it from the equation. But you can also hear the noise.
The third video is what the noise sounds like from outside the car.

Can you advise what the outcome was. Was it a defective pressure plate

I proceeded to check everything again. I moved onto the torque shaft, and with the engine running, went under and tried to move it. There was minimal movement (done by grabbing it and trying to twist it or push it up and down), but the sound remained.

Then I got annoyed and shoved it towards the bellhousing, and the noise went away. At this point I believe it is something related to the torque shaft.

The noise does come back every so often, but it hasn't been as bad. Since the noise went away, I ruled out a mechanical (engine/trans/clutch) issue. The car shifts fine.

My plan is to now change out everything associated with the torque shaft, and when I disassembly, check for anything that seems weird.

I'll let you guys know what I find.

Good Morning,

I've been hearing a noise in my car that appears to be at the front of the motor, but I believe that is just noise propogating to that point from the transmission. It sounds like something is punching something metallic.

But when I step on the clutch, the noise goes away. When the noise first started, I tried adjusting the clutch and the noise stayed.

Any movement on the clutch pedal stops the noise.
I checked the basic stuff, and nothing appears to be loose. The clutch return spring isn't loose, and neither was the clutch fork.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the ball that the clutch fork rides on, or the spring clip on the fork itself are worn, and the vibration is making them bounce a bit?

All the clutch components are new, with roughly 3-5 thousand miles on them.

Please post your theories
What ever happened I have same noise ,thanks

Regarding the McLeod 3 finger pressure plate...
I got one from Passon along with a bunch of other stuff. The pp could have come from anyone, source was not the issue. 3 finger "Borg and Beck" style, street/strip, around 3,000 pounds of clamping pressure. The DAY BEFORE my car club's annual track day, where we rent a local quarter mile drag strip, where bragging rights for up to a year are established and crushed, my McLeod 3 finger pp would not disengage! It was about 18 months old. I put about 1,200 miles a year on my car. One of the 3 fingers boogered up, broken part, just a mess!
McLeod has discontinued making that pp.
On a much brighter note, I got a McLeod DIAPHRAGM STYLE appx 3,000 pound pressure plate, used the same clutch disc, and it works GREAT! Much smoother throughout the pedal range of motion to engage and disengage, a little easier on the old beat up knee, and it never slips when fully engaged, even when I unleash the ponies and substantial torque of my slightly modded 440 6bbl to motivate my 3,800 pound Roadrunner.
My throwout bearing didn't last long and needs to be changed. Noise is similar to your 1st (top) inside the car video. When I change it, I'm going to convert from the Z bar to a hydraulic clutch/TOB system.
I also may upgrade the clutch because I plan on using the Clutch Tamer to improve my launches at the track, and that means some slipping of the clutch under extreme duress (at the launch). I am also going to try a taller sidewall bias ply slick or DOT legal drag tire. My understanding is that bias play is more forgiving at "the hit" with a manual transmission, and traction off the line is still an ongoing problem.
Wall of Text was really this -big kitten-.jpg

What ever happened I have same noise ,thanks
I believe the noise is from the throwout bering. I have something wrong down there which causes my adjustment to move, so my throwout bering is always slightly making contact with the fingers. When I step on the clutch, the noise goes away. Therefore, the issus is clutch related, and not crank as I initially feared. Then again, if it was a crank or rod noise, the motor would've done something bad by now.

I believe the noise is from the throwout bering. I have something wrong down there which causes my adjustment to move, so my throwout bering is always slightly making contact with the fingers. When I step on the clutch, the noise goes away. Therefore, the issus is clutch related, and not crank as I initially feared. Then again, if it was a crank or rod noise, the motor would've done something bad by now.
Ok mines getting final polish will check bearing clearances and post thanks good luck

Ok mines getting final polish will check bearing clearances and post thanks good luck

Ya let me know what you find. At this point (when I finally have free time) my plan is to replace everything down there (torque shaft, fork, and all pivot points/berings, along with the throwout bering).

Throwout bearing. Won’t hurt to drive with the noise. Drove from Death Valley to San Jose with the howling from hell with no problems except bad nerves. Throwout bearing. I carry a spare now.

Auto Transport Service
Back