• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Michelin LTX M/S2 review (SUV/Pickup Tire)

Dibbons

Local time
6:59 AM
Reaction score
I have a '96 Dodge Dakota five-speed 3.9 liter V6 4x4 that I drive about 250 miles per month (unloaded) around town in La Paz, BCS, Mexico. After seven years and only 21,500 miles they look pretty bad. There are small chunks of tread (about the size of a quarter) starting to come loose from the areas that contact the pavement. The chunks do not come off down to the belts, just down about 1/16" or 1/8" from the regular tire tread surface. I have used Michelin tires for the last 40 years or so, and these have lasted only about half as long as the previous sets. Can't explain it and I can only say I am no longer a faithful Michelin customer. These are not the newer Defender model, just have the older raised letter "Michelin" on the sidewall style and the model of the tire is "235/75R15 108T M/S 2". My spouse have the same tires on her 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 and her tires look the same or worse.

I had a set and they were thrashed at 30,000KM. I wouldn't recommend them either.

I ran the bfg all terrain on my 03 dakota and 12 ram for many years.
Have been looking at the toyo open country at3 for awhile.
My new ram rebel came with good year wranglers. No complaints yet but I only have 20000 kms on them. Snow will dictate alot for me.

I assume your neck of the woods it would be dry rotting that kills your tires?

Auto Transport Service
Back