• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mid 70's dual exhaust

tt76400

Local time
1:01 AM
Reaction score
My 76 Cordoba 400 LB with big tank (25.5 gal) NEEDS dual exhaust bad, I know that the dual exhaust cars came with a smaller tank for clearance issues, but can a decent exhaust shop put duals on this car or is there just no room? Car is in storage now, so I can't crawl under and look, just looking for real world advice from someone who has the same combo. Thanks!!

My 75 RR with a 400 also has the big gas tank that came with a single exhaust, but converted to duals.

There is no problem (that I can see) as the tank sits within the frame rails and the exhaust are on the outboard side.

Any competent exhaust shop can do it.

There is no problem (that I can see) as the tank sits within the frame rails and the exhaust are on the outboard side.

Any competent exhaust shop can do it.

^^X2

I have a 77 Cordoba with the big tank and I just had duels put on it with no problems.

Or you could go with a big single exhaust but the look of duals won't be there. If it doesn't matter, I'd have no problem with one large pipe and have done it before plus it maintains the stealth look and actually lasts longer since 8 cylinders dry out a single pipe faster.

Thanks for the info! I'm glad to know it won't be a problem. I have also thought about a large dia single exhaust as well.

Oooooo....sorry. I could not do a single exhaust. Duals just have that balanced look that I've come to expect.. Wear them out quicker I say and keep the look!

I had dual exhaust put on my 77 Doba. It had the 400 too. I had 40 serie flowmasters and magnaflow cats put on. I wanted the biggest pipe possible so we had to run the exhaust outlets to the sides of the car in front of the rear wheel, instead of the back. I could have run them out the back, but the pipes would have been much smaller...and I don't like the look of small pipes sticking out. Cost me just a little over $400 to get it all done.

The small tank was mandatory on all dual exhaust cars, in order to accommodate the resonators which hung just before the exhaust tips. No problem in keeping the big tank and installing duals, provided you don't install resonators (and most guys don't).

I went with 2.5 inch pipes on my Cordoba and the tailpipes wouldn't fit so I swapped to the smaller tank (it's available new). The pipes tuck in very nicely next to the smaller tank.

Supply your own pipe and hardware from Napa.... the muffler shop will warranty the muffler but the pipe they use is cheaper than cheap and hang around while they do the work and while it's up on the lift I give a good look around and hit my linkages with dry chain lube and my grease fittings on the car my gun and grease valvoline Lucas or Amsol for the grease I like the red because it will turn black and tell you it's done.

I had dual exhaust put on my 77 Doba. It had the 400 too. I had 40 serie flowmasters and magnaflow cats put on. I wanted the biggest pipe possible so we had to run the exhaust outlets to the sides of the car in front of the rear wheel, instead of the back. I could have run them out the back, but the pipes would have been much smaller...and I don't like the look of small pipes sticking out. Cost me just a little over $400 to get it all done.

Do you have any pictures of your side exhaust? I've been considering doing this but was worried the pipes would hang too low and look odd.

- - - Updated - - -

I went with 2.5 inch pipes on my Cordoba and the tailpipes wouldn't fit so I swapped to the smaller tank (it's available new). The pipes tuck in very nicely next to the smaller tank.
Regarding the smaller tank you speak of, where did you get it? Part number? Other threads talk about earlier Satellite tanks fitting the Cordoba, but we're huge dollars ($400+).

The tank is a Spectra CR21A, I got it from RockAuto.com for $200 about 5 years ago. It looks like prices have gone up since then.

FYI, If you do go this route you will need to adjust (bend) your fuel pickup a little. I discovered the hard way (on the interstate) that although the tank fits well the hole where the pickup goes in is in a slightly different spot/angle than the original and you may "run out of gas" with a quarter tank showing on the gauge.

Auto Transport Service
Back