• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milling piston dome?

So no one has an opinion or advice on my last post here?

I wouldnt be worried about the quench, and i would probably do exactly what you are planning, but i am FAR from any kind of expert on hemi's (even though thats my new puppy's name!).
Maybe consult a hemi expert, Barton or Koffel come to mind.
(You are planning a big thick cometic gasket, right?)

Ok I will see if I can contact Ray Barton and pick his brain. Thanks for your info:thumbsup:

Jon Kaase is a real smart man too, and he does stuff other than ford hemis. Real nice helpful man too according to his reputation .

33 thanks for the tip on calling Ray he’s a wealth of info on a hemi! I will be moving forward with the build on this block with the rotating assembly that’s in it:thumbsup:
And will top it off with a pair of stage 5 heads if I can hit the lottery :lol:

I am entering this late, but you should ask diamond what compression this combo was made for? Sounds like this was already set up to work in the block. Your stroke, rods and CD of piston is 10.602; so the pistons cd was made for your stroke, rod length and block deck height. With your block at 10.612 this is the standard with piston deck down .010". Not really necessary with hemi, some builders go for 0 piston deck or just smaller amount like .005. So a typical gasket of .025 or .040. But I think that will be pretty high compression with 108cc dome. Even with 170cc heads.

Since you have this assembly, and if you have a heads....cc the head volume. Assemble it with check bearing and measure actual piston dome above deck. Then put head on with a .025 or .040 gasket and cc the compressed volume and measure your piston to head clearance. .020 gasket is worth about additional 4.65cc so you can work the gasket thickness to get compression you want using Compressed volume measured versus you displacement (known). That gets you in the ball park pretty close, but later with cam your going to have other clearances to measure valve to piston, unless you don't go real radical. I also imagine that the deck when decked was done correct with china wall too. If this had heads, I imagine they where machined also, including intake side. If so the intake manifold will be fine.

The Ross pistons I had for my build... Ross had all the tech data for wrt to build. Deck, gasket thickness, stroke, etc... to give the 10.05 compression they stated. I could then deviate knowing my deck was different, and I pushed compression up to 10.25 to 10.5. But my heads had a volume down around 166cc. I did all the final machining on my deck, used thick gasket, and had really nice fit with the intake.

Diamond should be able to tell you dome thickness. I do think you should machine the dome to lower compression and use thinner gasket. You know what dome volume you want once you do your compressed volume check. Then work you desired compression backwards to see the CV you need.

Auto Transport Service
Back