Mini starter sound?

RobsRR

Local time
9:22 PM
Reaction score
I have just replaced my Denso mini starter after it had fried. It stayed engaged after start up a few times. My new DB electric starter (could not find a new Denso) makes a noise after starting once warmed up. I think I am hearing the Bendix spinning a few seconds. Is this something to worry about. My Denso did not do this.

moparedtn

Ed on the Ridge
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
"...stayed engaged..."
"...Bendix spinning a few seconds...."
Similar symptoms from two different starters? Perhaps it's not the starter at issue here?

RobsRR

Local time
Reaction score
The Denso starter stuck and burned out. It did not make this noise. The new one continues to spin a few seconds after start up when at operating temp.

ruffcut

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
Reaction score
Curious why it makes sound after warm up and not when first started cold?:realcrazy:

RemCharger

Local time
8:22 PM
Reaction score
Quite often you have to clearance the block so it's not cocked in the bore so to speak.

Rockland71GTX

Local time
Reaction score
I had a starter relay that would stick and burned out 2 starters before I figured it out.

RobsRR

Local time
Reaction score
I had a starter relay that would stick and burned out 2 starters before I figured it out.
Yes I considered that so I changed the starter relay too.

So I just took a ride to 2 local starter /alternator rebuild shops and they thought it was okay. Just hearing the Bendix spinning off when it disengages. I figure tolerances are tighter when hot so more noisy.