• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mini Starter won‘t crank when hot!

i tried brand new starter from DB Electrical. same friggin' issue cold start great. i go for a hot lap and come back and turn it off. The starter will not budge. i put a thermal laser on the starter and it's 300 degrees! The Doug's header just cooks it i think? normal ? other guys run Doug's headers without issue im sure ?

anyone have a "heat shield" part number for the mini starters ? i'm having trouble finding one...

I.E.: i see lots available thru Summit for GM starters but not Chryslers , i called them to ask and no luck. they wanted to offer a wrap, which i've tried already.

I don't even have room to fit a heat shield between the starter and block or header.
I addressed my problem by going to a higher Cold Cranking amps battery (950 CCA). I also upped my positive and negative cable size from 4 AWG to 1 AWG. Haven't had any trouble since.

i bought one of these 6x14 , made of aluminum sheets with heat stuff in the middle. So i'm hoping i can bend it between the header and starter without having to completely remove the header. fingers crossed this will make a difference ...

Inferno™ Heat Shield

I'm having the exact same issue. Switched to mini starter and it cranks great when cold but after a short trip it wouldn't crank. I have an new 800cca agm battery and 2 gauge cables. I switched to 0 gauge cable and now it will start when warm but it is a very slow/weak crank. Engine has fired everytime since but it cranks really weak after warm up. Worried it won't some day. I'm going to try some heat shielding on the exhaust and try to shorten the cable from the battery to the starter. Sounds like it could be the starter or heat soak after reading more stories of people having the same issue.

Last edited:
The problem is people think all mini starters are created equal.. Some might be rated at 1.8 hp, or the big dog like the MSD Dyna is over 3 hp. Guess which one is going crank a hot engine, every time?

I haven't had that issue with the MP mini-starters, but I am making new starter cables for the Convertible (with headers), and got some of the silicone coated fiberglass "heat shield" type wire covering for the starter cables.
SGX wire is rated for 125 C (257 F), but I'm running the welding cable rated for 105 C (221 F). The wire heat sleeve is rated for 800 degrees F continuous heat and 2500 degrees F intermittent heat.

Auto Transport Service
Back